MOT today

General Bike chat
warby221

MOT today

Post by warby221 »

Well the sp1 went for its MOT today

Ended up hanging around for the MOT for what seemed like ages

Till the guy walked out with MOT in hand with an advisory note attached :o :o

He explained that the advisory was for the exhausts being a bit noisy :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lol and that’s with a set of DB killers in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Stratman

Re: MOT today

Post by Stratman »

Didn't know they did a db test?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Warby, it's always (well for me at least :wink: ) a good feeling to get the bike through another mot :thumbup:

I hope you have the original cans at home, as it could be you'll need them in the future,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You don't have to do a thing with an advisory note, it's for your advice only.
And you already knew it was a bit noisy!

BTW, if you get a producer you don't need to show them the advisory note part.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

They don’t do a DB test as such it’s down to the examiner if he thinks there to loud

bike didn't come with the standard cans any way Chris but I’m not bothered by it just give me that hummmmmmmmm feeling for when the DB killers came out after the MOT and it’s not as loud as the storm was lol

They said the top end for the DB reading would be 97 db and its no were near that with the killers in Tony probably below it with them out. It’s just booming like all V twins do when there in a confined space and the guys not use to two huge explosions instead of 4 tinny ones :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

the place i usually use, the guy is half deaf!
i asked him about exhausts last time i was there as i noticed him putting an emissions tester up a goldwing's orifice.... :oops:
i thought they may have introduced emission testing without telling us, but he was just checking for oil burning.

regarding db testing, he said (quite sensibly) there's no point cos it depends how the bike is ridden,,, and if it passes, you will only put your loud ones back on after the test.

i went somewhere else to get the zx750 tested and got a cautionary on that for noise 8O its not a fraction as loud as the storm so i wont be going there again lol!

what does matter is track days. before i put baffles in mine i got it tested at 109db at 6k revs, and even then i crept it up there as gently as i could - at full bore, full rpm under load it sounds like a vulcan taking off.
so after fitting baffles i got it down to 99 which is quite a result imo, has to be 103 max for the track.

seen a few guys get turned away & theyve been frantically running round the garages trying to borrow some baffles - you can imagine how much of a pisser it would be if you can't get on.
(at cadwell btw the guys are usually very accomodating with noise levels and will back away from the bike until they get a low enough reading, instead of the usual 1m distance)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.