Indicators stopped working

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
andre5030

Indicators stopped working

Post by andre5030 »

My indicators have just stopped working on me there, the relay clicks when i move the switch (maybe a wee bit quick) but no lights at all.
Does that mean need a new relay?
benny hedges

Re: Indicators stopped working

Post by benny hedges »

check the bulbs first... but yes, sounds like the relay is goosed, or maybe a connector loose?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

I changed a blown bulb last week wonder did that have anything to do with it?
Ill have a look at the connections later but guess new relays the one. Not possible to use a non honda one of a mates bike to test it by any chance?
alec

Post by alec »

andre5030 wrote:I changed a blown bulb last week wonder did that have anything to do with it?
Ill have a look at the connections later but guess new relays the one. Not possible to use a non honda one of a mates bike to test it by any chance?
I put a two pin 12v one on my bike to get me by then one of the kind guys on here sent me one, i just used spade connectors to fix it on,
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Just a point and probably not worth mentioning
But when you changed the bulb the other day it was of the same wattage wasn’t it??
If you put a different wattage bulb in that can stop your indicators flashing
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

Yeah im pretty sure it was the same wattage tho im not the kind of person who would worry about a watt here or there Lol
Ive ordered a used relay there from fleabay got it for a tenner so not so bad save me a few well needed pennies on a new one! :)
Few cans for me tonite now at least! lol :beer: :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Blown bulb and flashing faster than normal?
Checked the reg/rec output voltage?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Check the wires, I've had the same problem with the rear indies, The front ones work but flash really fast. A fiddle with the wireing at the back under the seat sorted it out for a while but every now and then the natural vibrations of the bike has meant more fiddling and twisting with the wiring at the back indies. Last attempt hasnt fixed it so I've bought new ones to fit and hopefully that will sort the nonesense out.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
teal-twin

Post by teal-twin »

hi, i had the same problem, just needed the switch cleaning out and all was fixed. wish i'd tried this first as wasted lots of time trying to find fault. hope this helps :)
Bike history: C50(fields only) kawasaki AE50, CB125twin, DT125lc, RD200, TS125x, AR80, TZR250, VFR400nc30, CBR600FSport, VTR1000f What next??
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

Tried a new flasher relay and fiddled with the wires no joy ive a strange feeling it is the switch alright gonna have another lookey later this evening.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I got mine fixed and feeling all proud of myself. Fitted new ones and they work fine.

Good luck getting yours sorted.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

pinkyfloyd wrote:I got mine fixed and feeling all proud of myself. Fitted new ones and they work fine.

Good luck getting yours sorted.
New ones of what?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Just fitted new indicators. The ones I had on were after market ones and they were as rusted as hell on the inside. So rather than just try and rewire them I bought a new set of rear indicators and fitted them. Plug and play jobbies. Cheap and nasty but they flash and they are bright.

Thats the very ones.

Hopefully Cager will see me now since I flash on both sides!
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

Very Nice! :D
Turned out to be my switch after all i just unscrewed the top sprayed some WD40 in it gave it a wiggle and away they went! Oh and the relay i got from ebay doesnt work.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

mine went a couple weeks back as recomended i got a small can of wd40 with the straw and doused the switch then everything else switchy or furry till the can ran out lol
including around the ignition lol
they worked a treat afer a few mins twiddling
east london/essex [leyton ]