Incompatible bikes for a bike test.

General Biker Banter
seantopbloke

Incompatible bikes for a bike test.

Post by seantopbloke »

Did you know only certain bikes are allowed to do your module 1 & 2 bike test ?

My son's instructor did not know that Aprilia RS125's are required to show a certificate of restriction, this cost him the price of the module 1 test. He sent my son on test & when the examiner asked him for this certificate my son was completely in the dark & the test was cancelled !
Pass it on so no other teenager is left gutted :thumbdown: at the test centre waiting for his instructor :oops: to explain what went wrong :Argue: ?
Its the sound of thunder at the back end that makes me smile at the front end !
marravtr

Re: Incompatible bikes for a bike test.

Post by marravtr »

sounds like bollox to me! its a 125 so fully learner legal? so he can ride it fully legal on the road, insurance will cover him, but cant do a test on it????
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Poor lad - what an earth is a "certificate of restriction" anyway? Is it a dyno readout, or comes with a restriction kit - then if you have a bog standard 125 do you get one issued from new - the mind boggles at the Kafkaesque bureaucracy to ride a bike.

When I were a lad I had a 17bhp early CB125T an' boiled oil revin' along at 12,000rpm down motorways - weren't there loophole 250s with bendy mini sidecars (sidewinder?)

Did you get the speedo and is it true the 32mph swerve test of doom is really part of the test
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

seantopbloke wrote:Did you know only certain bikes are allowed to do your module 1 & 2 bike test ?

My son's instructor did not know that Aprilia RS125's are required to show a certificate of restriction, this cost him the price of the module 1 test. He sent my son on test & when the examiner asked him for this certificate my son was completely in the dark & the test was cancelled !
Pass it on so no other teenager is left gutted :thumbdown: at the test centre waiting for his instructor :oops: to explain what went wrong :Argue: ?
i think thats cos some r125s are full power at up to 45bhp.
thats quite a handfull compared to a 12bhp cg125 lol but they are a hell of a bike.
wouldnt mind one myself for playtime :thumbup:
young lad (18) on my local forum was paying £18 a mth to insure his cg then got a quote for an rs.... wait for it.... £151 a mth! :eek2
makes DAS seem like a viable option!
i never had to do all that crap meself!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

benny hedges wrote:i never had to do all that crap meself!
Me neither they ran after you when I took my test lol

Still have to do all the test stuff a couple of times a month now so when someone that doesn’t know me says you wouldn’t be able to pass the test now they don’t half get it

Sounds like the examiners exercised his powers I’m afraid
Learner legal bikes have to be restricted to 11KW (14.6hp) max to meet with UK and EU law
Most 125 now are built to that output figure but the RS125 has 33hp in unrestricted trim and are restricted for sale in the UK so many are derestricted by the owners and DVLA is never told
Hence him wanting to see a cert of restriction

edit
Should have added hang on to November there on about scraping mod 1
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
alec

Post by alec »

Still have to do all the test stuff a couple of times a month now so when someone that doesn’t know me says you wouldn’t be able to pass the test now they don’t half get it

So what is it you do Warby ?
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

warby221 wrote:
benny hedges wrote:i never had to do all that crap meself!
Me neither they ran after you when I took my test lol
they walked in front of you with a flag when i took mine....
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

alec wrote: So what is it you do Warby ?
Have a wild stab in the dark
A clue is I not an examiner
alec

Post by alec »

warby221 wrote:
alec wrote: So what is it you do Warby ?
Have a wild stab in the dark
A clue is I not an examiner
its either a policeman or rider training, i'll go for the latter,
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
warby221

Post by warby221 »

spot on but sorry no prize :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
i work part time as an instructor
A bit of a hobby teaching new riders
alec

Post by alec »

warby221 wrote:spot on but sorry no prize :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
i work part time as an instructor
A bit of a hobby teaching new riders
do you give advice on riding to mature riders, i have been riding since i was 16, i'm 41 now, done the test a couple of years ago, all the bikes i've had (and its a few) i cant take roundabouts or right hand turns without slowing down to a near stop, any ideas on how to cure this.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Stabilizers??????

Without seeing what you’re doing it’s hard to say
But of the top of my head I would say it’s probably just down to confidence have you had a spill or near miss on a right hander some time that still rears its ugly little head
Any ways you could try finding a quiet roundabout
Set yourself in to a right hander on it and try counter steering (pushing the inside bar away from you) you should find the bike drops in to the turn a bit then becomes more stable
Because the bike will feel more stable you should gain a bit more confidence on the right handers
PS im better on left handers than right so don't let it spoil the fun
alec

Post by alec »

warby221 wrote:Stabilizers??????

Without seeing what you’re doing it’s hard to say
But of the top of my head I would say it’s probably just down to confidence have you had a spill or near miss on a right hander some time that still rears its ugly little head
Any ways you could try finding a quiet roundabout
Set yourself in to a right hander on it and try counter steering (pushing the inside bar away from you) you should find the bike drops in to the turn a bit then becomes more stable
Because the bike will feel more stable you should gain a bit more confidence on the right handers
yeah i came off going round a sweeping right hander when i was about 21 ish hit some grit and went into a wall, so could be confidence, i'll give that a go over the weekend, cheers
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Well if nout else its bloody good fun and p*sses car drivers of no end when they see you having a laughs
alec

Post by alec »

got a few nice busy roundabouts just round the road from me might give them a try tomorrow, just when everyone wants to go shopping i'll just keep going round in circles till i nail it lol :biggrin