Leo Vince Pipes - how hot!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Gizmo

Leo Vince Pipes - how hot!!

Post by Gizmo »

Fitted a pair of road legal low level Leo Vince Ti pipes to me Sp2 and cant believe how hot they are running. You can't go anywhere near the cans after a decent blast, got a constant burning smell even after almost 1000 miles.

They are a lot smaller can size than oe Honda so this might be part of problem, anyone else fitted them and having same problem??
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative
Pete

Post by Pete »

A mate of mine burnt through an oxford soft pannier on our way through England with the exhaust port on his(99 R1) so I'd say......... very :D
Peter Brennan.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I cant carry a pillion because it'll melt their boots, going to have to find new panniers that sit really high up cos as you say it'll burn straight through them :(

or go back to oe cans :(
Fester

LeoVince pipes

Post by Fester »

Sri I can't answer your question Gizmo, but I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm considering some high level ones for my FireStorm. I wondered if yours are the Evolution II, or 'standard'? Do you now the difference as it ain't clear from the website!
cheers
fester
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I think that most road legal cans run very hot, its the reason you'll struggle to find any carbon-fibre road legals

I've got titanium road-legal Remus' on and they get hot too. Not as hot as yours by the sound of it though

Ben
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Mine are road legal earlier version, Busters were blowing them out at 350 per pair after Leo Vince launched evO2. evO has removable baffle so is road legal and can be altered to full race. maybe I should have gone that way but I don't want noisy cans as I can't be bothered with hassle off plod.

Probalby is just the pipes restricting flow, i think they may be too small and not allowing another area for heat to disperse, race versions probably allow heat out.
freshfunkmeister

Post by freshfunkmeister »

I have a pair of ART oval carbon fibre ones ( road illegal !) and they definately run alot cooler than most (metal) cans. You can still grip the can (if you want to ) with your bare hand even after a 20 minute track session. Carbon fibre isn't as good an insulator as any metal, so they will always run a bit cooler. As for the school of thought that carbon fibre for a v-twin bike is a bad idea as it will melt, well, maybe, but I can only imagine that in pure race conditions. Mine have been on for approx 2000+miles in which time I have done 2 trackdays, loads of town, m'way and A road stuff and the cans are intact and lookin' as good as new !!
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
Fester

pipes

Post by Fester »

Mind you, my 'originals' get damn hot too, certainly much too hot to get yer skin close too, and for some time after the engine has stopped! 8O
fester
UnderDOG

Fuel mixture.

Post by UnderDOG »

You guys should alter your mixture by putting in new main jets.
If they get that hot, the exhaust fumes are way to hot, and that usually depend on a way to lean mixture.

//Anders.
Father of Poopmaster Poo
grinner

Post by grinner »

Yup, standard cans good for cookin' on after 5 mins, but my titanium leo vinces (v.loud) won't burn skin after an hour ride. Cool to touch, painful to hear.
Mind you, means i can get my covers on quick!

Not that I use them much. :cry:
Max

Post by Max »

I just did 150 miles with high level art stainless oval cans with the removable baffle still in and you can put your hand on them at any time and not get burnt, they stayed surprisingly cool. the bike is dyno jetted for a can.

Max