Michielin Hi-Sport tyres

General Bike chat
Orange Robbie

Michielin Hi-Sport tyres

Post by Orange Robbie »

Just changed to a set of Michelin Hi-Sports, and on advice from the suppliers reduced the front pressure to 32psi and the rear to 36 psi.
What a difference a tyre makes, and different pressures, the confidence in the bike and bieng able to push the bike faster through the bends is amazing. I am now 2-3 mm off the edge maximum, whereas before 10mm. I just didn't feel that the grip was there to be able to push any harder.

These are now my 4th set of the tyres, previous 3 were on a 600CBR, on the CBR I got a fair wear rate from them, 4500 miles and they were due for a change, so will have to wait and see what they wear like on the Storm.
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.
warfox

Post by warfox »

i not long ago had hi-sports fitted but running at normal pressures and seems fine however i still ahve a little rubber left on edges still to scrub :)
Pete

Post by Pete »

I loved the HiSports I had fitted to my storm, they soaked up fast road abuse & a trackday without so much as a grumble. Solid as the proverbial...
Peter Brennan.
Orange Robbie

Post by Orange Robbie »

They were going to stop production of them last year, and relpace with Pilot sports, a huge outcry went up and, here we are they are still producing them. A guy at the dealers has a storm fitted with Pilot sports, he thinks very little difference between the two.
What mileage R U on with the Hi-Sports Pete :?:
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I got a ridiculously long time out of them as I don't use the bike daily. I'd say I did close to 5500 miles on 'em which isn't too shabby for a sports tyre IMO.
Peter Brennan.
Orange Robbie

Post by Orange Robbie »

I will keep an eye on them, but anything has got to be better than the Dunflops before :!:
bluesman

On different bike..

Post by bluesman »

IMHO Hi Sports deadly in colder or wet weather. Did not tried on Storm as I am "Storm novice", but one and only time when I went down with my Hornet was ENTIRELY down to those buggers.
They have no grip at all when it wet or cold, and Michelin admits it; on hot hot trip to French Southern Alps last July in peak of famous heat wave they were brilliant, no chicken stripes and loads of confidence. While BT010 failed me this summer by overheating and sliding (both tyres at once!) supertmotard style sending me to opposite lane. Thanks to brave old French lady in opposite lane - she reacted well and smart and I managed to get back alive.... :oops:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Pete

Post by Pete »

I dunno Robbie, over here we get more than our fair share of rain and I never had any problem with 'em in the wet that you wouldn't get with anything other than a full wet racing tyre.

The trackday I did on 'em was wet in the morning section and I never lost confidence in 'em.
Peter Brennan.
Orange Robbie

Post by Orange Robbie »

Hi Bluesman,I have never had a problem either with Hi-Sports, 80 - 90 quite comfortable in the wet, no problem with warm up either on the Storm or on my CBR 600, used to really rag the CBR, to limiter then change up, 1st 2nd + 3rd, 10K RPM quite common, 1st + 2nd on the Storm, no problems with grip at all, feel very confident on the bike. Maybe just suit my riding style. The CBR used to get the rear wheel moving around sometimes when powering out of bends but never felt like it would snap away or anything drastic.
Toured France to Spain and back couple of years ago, going over the Pyrenes, if thats how you spell it, got a touch chilly over the tops and also used them in low temps of 5-7C, still no problems. Want a crap tyre, get a set of Dunlops if you think Hi-Sports are bad, IMHO.
bluesman

Well

Post by bluesman »

May it is a matter of which bike they installed too. But if you ask on Hornet's Nest abiut Hi-Sports you will have exacty same feedback :)
I used to use Bridgestone. Always (for 4 bikes so far) changed tyres bike came with to BT after originals worn. IMHO comparing to BT010 or 014 Hi-Sports are very bad in the street riding, not a track.
Anyway - I am glad to hear that you had no probs with them....
BTW - I got my Storm with set of new Sportomax D207 (not 204!)- I hope they are not too bad - there is a tread above :) it's such a vaste of money to throw new set to bin! :)
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Orange Robbie

Post by Orange Robbie »

Hope your Dunflops last longer than mine, 2072 miles then had to change, less than 0.25mm above the tread wear indicators. :x
Did a fair run sunday afternoon 155 miles in 3.5 hrs, now getting very close to the wall, and not a mummur from them, I think top tyre for the price. :)
I paid £184 fitted on the bike, including all the disposal tax, VAT, wheel removal etc, Bridgestones would have cost me £220 - £230 from the same dealer, and he advised against Bridgestones, didn't think they worth the extra cost. :D From TST at Risley Nr Warrington.
Time will tell, all personal choice, as long as you enjoy your riding, what the hell 8)