New to site

General Bike chat
blackstorm

New to site

Post by blackstorm »

Thought Id say hello. Im new to this site. Just traded in my baby, a 97 Storm. The good news is that Ive brought Speedys HRC colured storm to replace it. The only problem is speedys bike has got so much trick stuff on it it Im going to take forever to set it up. Hope I can rely on you guys for some advice in the future. All the best Blackstorm ( Soon have to change to orange storm I suppose)
elmer fud

eyup

Post by elmer fud »

welcome and enjoy.
It's a trick bike you've bought, dead jelous!
Dave.
Take it to bits, put back together, nothing left in box...woohoo!
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Welcome fella.

Unfortunately I wont be much help because Im a complete spanner spas!

WayneM

P.S. Do you like the way I just assumed you were a Blokey Man and not a Lady Bird?
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Welcome :D , that bike of speedys looks pretty smart 8) enjoy!
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Thanks to all for the welcome. Should pick the bike up tommorow (bet it's raining) If it goes half as good as it looks I'l be very happy. All the best
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Mmmm, sounds interesting. Any pics or links so we can check out the bike???
Cheers
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

there are already pics of it in the for sale section
under speedys bike :wink:
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Just my luck the mechanic who was supposed to prep my bike has gone sick :( so I couldnt pick her up today ( and the roads were dry ) :cry: If your the mechanic and your reading this "Get back to work I dont care how ill you are Im desperate" :x This means another sleepless night 8O looking at the photos on speedys advert, Im going mad :roll:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:D Have you picked it up now? How r u getting on with it?? Probably getting pissed off with the weather just like me - it's been raining since I got my Blade! I haven't found a decent Blade forum yet - haven't looked too hard, anyone come across a decent one? I have just run-in (only 300 miles - bonus!!), very pleased so far but too quiet after the Storm... New can asap! And get shot of the monstrosity of a number plate/mudguard assembly...
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Speedy
Its bloody fantastic to look at :) . I havent had much chance to ride it yet due to work and the weather :cry: . There seems to be a slight knock under braking occasionally, Ive changed the front brake pads back to standard from the carbon lorraine ones in case it was a bit of pad float but the knock is still there, it dosent seem to affect the handling and is only very slight Im probably just being paranoid, Steve has said he'll have a look but its not much of a problem to be honest, if youve got any ideas Id be gratefull. I wound the tick over up slightly and that seems to have solved the stalling problem you mentioned. Having sold my standard storm yours seems much smoother 8) and more responsive. Ive gone down one tooth on the front sprocket which is how I had my last one geared ( less top speed, more acceleration 8O ) To sum up Im over the moon :lol: you did a great job on the bike and I promise to look after her. Enjoy the blade
All the best. :wink:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

After market pads that are ever so slightly smaller seem to wear the inside of the body of the calliper so possibly the standard pads are able to move a bit in the calliper now. Get a mate to listen to the front of the bike while you push it forwards on the front brake to see if they can tell you where the noise is coming from

Otherwise it could be the head bearings. You should be able to nip them up a bit in about an hour. There's a procedure for it on the main page of the site. ( http://www.abercon.co.uk/~neilr/faq_headbearings.htm )

Al.
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Thanks al.
As I say I dont think there is any thing major wrong but I'l certainly give your advice a try
Cheers.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There used to be a slight knock, but AMC tightened the head bearings and I hadn't noticed it since. The fact that you went straight from your previous Storm to mine must have made it more noticeable to you... I guess it could be readjusted, failing that maybe will need new head bearings... :( I thought it was fixed ages ago!

BTW, I have come across a couple of things that belong to the bike; a spare number plate (legal but no dealer logos etc) and two plates that bolt on instead of the mirrors for track days etc. Drop me a line at richardm@lcsltd.com with your details and I'll post them to you.... :)
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Thanks Speedy.
As I say it really isnt a problem AMC have said they will check it and do whatever to rectify it :D . Ive fitted a pair of Bridgestone O1Os and finally got a few hours of dry roads :D , there is certainly nothing wrong with the handling 8O . I love the bike and think Ive got a really good deal. I do some instruction on track days and cant wait for next year so that I can get it on the track and find out what difference all the extras make. Its going to take a while to get used to the admiring glances it gets whenever I park it somewhere :oops: .
Thanks for mentioning the other bits youve got I'l give you a call
Cheers :wink:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Blackstorm/firestorm-Al,

Check the calipers, I had exactly the same from the front brakes, when I had a good look (Calipers on the bench) I found that the pads had rocked in the calipers. This caused the pad backing to wear grooves into the calipers, they were about 1.5mm deep and really effected the brakes. Basically the pad would sit in the groove and then the pistons would just push the pad against the caliper and not the disc. I think once the anodosing has worn off it just a matter of time before the caliper is worn badly. I cured the problem by splitting the calipers and cutting 1.4mm off the end faces and then making a 1.5mm stainless steel shim that slots into place. Now the pads slide (I just take a bit off for a tight fit) on a hard metal surface and not the alloy caliper. Twas a long two days but well worth it. Have done nearly 2k on em and I'll have a look in a week or so to check for wear.

I was wondering whether it was a common problem, I'd putting down to me bad riding.

Neil has a photo of a caliper (with groove) and a modified one, have two sets which made it easier to do the mod.

Del.