How to sort out forks ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtwin

How to sort out forks ?

Post by vtwin »

Been out on the SV650 today for its first proper ride, amongst other things it has made me realise how poor the forks are on the storm.

The SV forks seem to iron out bumps but also remain nice and precise in the corners, I can definately get round a corner quicker on it :?

The storm forks seem to thump through bumps and also the front end seems quite vaque when cornering.

I'm no lightweight at 15 stone but I am very surprised just how much more planted the SV feels ( brakes are much better too :eek2 ) Infact its quite a fun bike to ride ! :beer:

Whats the best way to sort the forks out without spending megabucks ?

Anyone else ridden an SV ?
benny hedges

Re: How to sort out forks ?

Post by benny hedges »

set of progressive springs and some new oil m8, you will find them a lot better, the adjusters actually work!
touching the brakes doesnt make them dive and cornering is a breeze :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

Thanks Benny, where is the best place to get the springs from, also what weight oil, 10w maybe ?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i got wirth springs from wemoto & theyre ace - very good quality.
cant remember what oil i put in lol, think it was 10 weight but may have been heavier, i'll have a look next time im in the garage cos there was some left
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I rate the Hyperpro kit, comes with oil at a shade over a hundred.
I fitted some for a guy on here and rode it after, was well impressed.

However depending on how worn your forks are you might need to change the slider bearings at the same time- not difficult or expensive (try Wemoto or David Silvers).
There's a top and bottom one on each leg.

If you get a slight "clonk" when braking hard, and your head bearings are ok, and you've checked disc mountings and calipers, that will be your culprit.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

I want to get this done but is well beyond my rubber malletts capabilititties :roll: I have a good and cheap mechanic available how long should it take to complete the job??
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Two hours tops.
If you get the bushes done as well, then another hour.

But it's really easy, just support the bike from under the sump, take off the front wheel and mudguard, then loosen the top cap nuts on each leg.
Undo and slide off the clip-on on each side, tie upright to stop air leaks into brake and clutch reservoirs. Don't disconnect any of the hoses or cables; they can be left in place.
If you can't get the clip-ons to clear, then loosen them and take them off after the next two steps- **

Now undo the top and bottom clamp bolts.
Then turn the upper leg left and right while pulling down and the leg will come out. (Do one at a time).
(** This is when you can take those clip-ons off, if you just move the leg down a few cm you'll find that the clip-on now comes clear).

With the leg stood on a rag on the floor, push down (hand pressure is enough) while undoing the cap nut. It's a fine thread, so will take a lot of turns.

Once off, remove the tube sleeve you'll find inside, and the washer, noting how the go (which order they go in) the turn the leg upside down over a bowl and the spring will slide out messily.

You measure fork oil level with the leg compressed and without the spring in.
I'd suggest 140mm from the top as a reasonable level, but it has to be the same both sides.
Use a rod or long screwdriver as a dipstick, wiping it clean each time. Put a bit of tape 140mm from the end, and when the end just touches oil and the tape is level with the top of the leg, you're done.

Put the spring in, washer and sleeve and by pushing down by hand on the top nut (easier if you put it in a socket, just a socket, not a shaft or ratchet handle) start the thread. Now reassemble the leg in the steering head, this time pushing up as you turn it left and right. then do the same with the other leg.

Nearly there!
Tighten up the top and bottom clamp bolts, and the make sure that you tighten up the cap bolts on both legs.
Reassemble the clip-ons back on, mudguard and front wheel back on and go down the pub for a well earned session.

Or just bolt the forks and fornt wheel from the SV on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

Im a heavy rider is therea make thats better for riders with relaxed muscle? I have always liked a race type set up ie. Very firm with precise rebound adjustment (so why buy a ferkin storm?) Anyhoo suggestions...... :thumbdown: :thumbup: :P
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

Thanks for all the info guys, am going to do springs and oil, will report back the results !! :beer:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:
take off the (calipers, and the little clip that holds the hose :thumbup: ) front wheel and mudguard,
and remember which front wheel spacer goes on which side - they are different ;)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtwin wrote:Whats the best way to sort the forks out without spending megabucks ?
Get your fork legs out and sent off to Roger Ditchfield at http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/

For a little over the price of a set of sticky rubber hoops (tyres) he'll upgrade your forks to suit your body weight. In my opinion you'll not look back, money well spent :thumbup:

Chris.