Adjusting APE CCTs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Adjusting APE CCTs

Post by Pete.L »

I had the same, but from cold.
The sound only lasts for about a second as it starts.
I backed the tensioner of half a turn and that cured it.
Try backing yours of just 1/4 turn as it only does it when hot.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Cheers Pete, I have backed them off a tad now, I will see what happens next time its at temperature.
Cheers again,
Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Jim67

Yep, that sounds slightly too tight to me. Back of a fraction and see if it gets better. That blowing/whirring noise is a classic 'too tight' sound.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Cheers for the help guys, I had a play the other day and reset them with the engine running and at temp but I reckon they are a tad too loose now so I am going to wind em in a tad today, I get there in the end........its not easy to have peace of mind !!!!!!!!

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Jim67.

I wouldn't go in a tad. A gnats nodger or a smidgen at most!!! :lol:

LSM
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

Ok , got the manuals fitted.But once up to temp and I pull over with the bike still running I heard a slight tap... tap.... tap, and then it stopped, then I drove home (20mins) leaving the bike running again, and I could hear the chains like,rubbing against the bolt , is that normal or are they too tight or to loose? The mechanic fitted them 2 days ago before putting in the replacement engine,should I do it or get him to do it if it needs it.
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

anyone?
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Sounds like they need slightly more tension, if he gave you any guarantee then get him to do it FOC :)
Ride Safe
Phil
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

If you paid him to do the job, and you think you hear a noise which doesn't sound right ,after him fitting the new cct's,by all means get him to double check.....better safe than sorry :!:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bikerpiker wrote:If you paid him to do the job, and you think you hear a noise which doesn't sound right ,after him fitting the new cct's,by all means get him to double check.....better safe than sorry :!:
+1

Chris.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Just fitted manuals ccts on mine. Sounds about the same when cold, maybe a little more whirring than ticking. When I got it to temperature the 2500-3000 flapping noise from the front tensioner came back. Do you thing I should tighten it a little or I got nothing to worry about now?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if they are whirring they are probably too tight bud.
you'd be ebtter slipping the cam covers off to check the tension - it should be quite slack... more than you'd expect!
i set mine so i can move the chain about 10mm - 5mm up, 5mm down.
check it by removing the cam chain cover between the gears - stuff some kitchen roll down the hole tho just in case you lose the middle bolt, and use threadlock on them when you put them back in!

also - posted this a million times.... put threadlocking compound on the long tensioner bolt.
don't rely on the locknut to keep it in place - twice mine came undone, and the same has happened to other owners.
threadlock it and it wont come loose - and get the locknut as tight as possible.
the oring is there as an oil seal so dont just nip the nut up on the oring!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
TUG

Post by TUG »

Mine is fine till gets to temp, it ticks louder but my cam chain tensioners keep backing off quite alot.
Gunna fit these MCCT's but i thought you only have to hand tighten them up then lock it down. my cam covers are gunna be coming off anyway,
so will check anyway.
TUG

Post by TUG »

I've fitted my MCCT's off thepont, and ticking at 3000rpm-4000rpm is still there, i've backed them off and tightened them up, its a tiny but quieter when tight, but i just cant get to the bottom of it.
Also my VTR codename Thumper has eaten its front carb O-ring... yea i know.