Post by Darknomad »

Sort of on topic do you think if I change my oil
To bike semi synthetic it might help me with
My grounchy clutch?
east london/essex [leyton ]
benny hedges

Re: wrecked me clutch :/

Post by benny hedges »

10w.40 semi synthetic is recommended oil anyway bud, what are you using?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

dunno m8 the shop i got me bike from said they did a check over service
the oil looked new and the coolant [lumi green lol]
i may go heine gericke [closest bike shop to me]or bacons on the a12 get some fluids
btw i posted a clutch basket do you think its worth getting and swopping mine out?
or stick to mine and get new plates
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

dunno m8 i'd definately order up some plates & springs - see what the basket is like when you strip it, and any other bits that might be worn...
not exactly sure what the anti-judder ring is for??? id take a guess that it stops the clutch from juddering lol - could be this part thats worn?

have a look in the workshop manual in the workshop knowall section - look at the exploded view of the clutch assembly... :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

jeez thats a lot of bits and it mentions special tools for the clutch centre thingy erm....
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

ok booked me bikein my local bike shop double r in leytonstone
there gonna do me clutch swop plates look at it etc on satruday
and there gonna visit this forum to read up on the stopper mod and give me a quote
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

mines getting worse :roll: slipping at 5-6k now when i full throttle it...
went to overtake in 3rd before, clutch slipped from 5-8k and it did a mega wheelie lol, totally unintentional! 8O

what do you want for one of yours tony? :beer:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

PM'd :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

thank you very much good sir. :beer:
TUG

Post by TUG »

geodude wrote:The manual says its a 3 in complexity. I'm at level 2 max. Level 55 10th prestige in COD4 but motorbikes, still at level 2!!
With anything in life, the more you do it the better you get. The water pump is in the clutch casing so you have to drop the coolant you see.
I reccomend you get a decent scrap bike and restore it on the cheap you will learn alot.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

fitted the new-to-me clutch plates on thursday.... no more slipping, but strangely, it is now intermittently grabbing on take off, shitting the life outer me lol, nearly had me a few times today...

so, seing as its never grabbed before but has started to with these plates, obviously the grabbing problem that a lot of owners have experienced is related to the condition, wear, or assembly method of the plates and anti judder spring....

the only thing i can think of that i did that may be causing this is when i took the anti judder spring out, and the plate behind it, i noticed it had a groove worn in it, so i though crouton that, i'll put a metal plate in with no wear marks instead....

but looking at the blown up picture in the shop manual, it isnt just an ordinary metal plate - it's referred to as the anti-judder spring seat.... i think that groove is supposed to be there (and now it isnt.)
im guessing that now the anti judder spring can move to the side, instead of being central - this would make the plates sit off to one side and could be the cause of the lurching, grabbing etc, accompanied by a sick noise.

so its coming apart again tomorrow for further investigation.

if i cant find the answer im putting a complete barnet clutch in it init :beer:
(eugh, beer, i dont ever want to see beer again after this weekend, dont ask!)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Playing clutch games as part of engine strip yesterday, and dug out a spare clutch to bolt some plates together to make a locking tool (to get the clutch centre nut undone).
That worked fine, but I'm now going to bolt a lever onto it so that i don't have to stuff a rag between the primary gears to undo it. This can't be good for the bearings, surely?.
Pic and write-up once done and tested.

Funny thing, not noticed before, but the two spare clutches I have are different.

The friction plates are of two types. The whole set is the same, but one set is different to the other.
The "normal" set, which is what I have had in other engines, have friction material in big blocks, with only a .5-1mm wide gap between them.
But the other set have smaller, more widely spaced blocks, the gap between is 3mm or so.
Wonder if they're an after-market set? Anyone ever actually seen the Barnett ones?

Could you please have a look at your two sets while you're in there and see which you have?
(pretty sure that the set I sent you are type 1).

BTW, Haynes shows no groove on the anti-judder seat, and I don't recall seeing one on mine when I was taking them out. Is it reversible?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SlingVTR

Post by SlingVTR »

Im on full synthetic, (silkolene pro 4) and I get no slip at all, I tried hard..............
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony the set you sent are the same as the std ones i took out but the metal plates are in better nick due to mine being blue and warped.
agree with the rag method being sh1t, it might not damage the bearing, but the bearing sits in an ally seat - breaking that would mean a new engine! 8O

when i said a groove in the judder spring seat, it wasnt so much a machined recess, more like i could see where it had been sat and feel a noticeable step on the plate where it had been running.
i just looked at it & thought eugh, dont like the look of that, so replaced it with an ordinary metal plate.
need to strip it in a bit & see what's going on... get the verniers out & measure up the plates etc & see if there is any difference in the original spring seat & the one i fitted - i'm convinced that's the answer... but why doesnt it do it all the time? didnt happen at all on the way home, but 5-6 times during the rideout in the day, very embarrasing.
plates were presoaked for 2 days in new 10/40 semi synthetic oil, new oil after assembly etc, correct level, nothing else untoward....

but... another question for you tony,,,, i havent noticed this before... the oil pump & advance rotor drive chains.... 8O why are they so slack!
i can't see anything wrong in there so i'm assuming this is a standard thing... it's a very fine chain and there is maybe 1/2" slack on each. why!
i'm sure this could be contributing to the clattering noise people hear at tickover - looks to be perfectly normal though... just wondering if you can check this on your other engine(s) and let me know what the free play should be - though there doesn't seem to be a tensioner or any method of adjusting the chain tension?

also - running some new coolant from work - 100% mono-ethylene glycol, food grade coolant as used in process chillers and the result is great - you saw how hot my bike runs.... normal temp is in the middle, in traffic it goes almost to the red.
with this new clear coolant, it barely leaves the first 1/4 mark on the gauge while riding and at standstill in traffic with tickover at 1700, it hasn't got 1/2 way yet, and that's without the extra fan!!! :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

benny hedges wrote: also - running some new coolant from work - 100% mono-ethylene glycol, food grade coolant as used in process chillers and the result is great - you saw how hot my bike runs.... normal temp is in the middle, in traffic it goes almost to the red.
with this new clear coolant, it barely leaves the first 1/4 mark on the gauge while riding and at standstill in traffic with tickover at 1700, it hasn't got 1/2 way yet, and that's without the extra fan!!! :thumbup:
Good news about the temp being kept lower Benny, just make check that it's silicate free if you haven't already,

Chris.