SP1 gearbox worn out?!?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gavster

SP1 gearbox worn out?!?

Post by gavster »

Firstly, i'm new to this forum so hi y'all. I own a 2000 SP1 which i've had for a year now. I also have an NC30 which is in the garage awaiting a rebuild for the track.

I have a question and i'd be very interested to hear opinions on this one.

Has anybody had gearbox problems with their SP1? The sort of things i'm talking about are slipping out of gear under acceleration and going into false neutrals when changing gear.

Now, the bike has just gone in for a service and i questioned my dealer about these problems. He, apparently, phoned Honda and they reckoned my whole gearbox needed renewing because it was wearing out! 8O

Now please correct me if i'm wrong but that sounds like complete bullcrap ... the bike has done 17k miles. I would expect a gearbox to last much longer than that.

Has anybody here experienced similar gearbox issues? Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Gavin
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

If your gearbox has worn out in 17k I would be writing some stern letters to Mr Honda san.

Might be a daft question but have you tried adjusting the gear linkage to take up any slack??????

Sorry I cant help further.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Gavster :)
Never had a Handa gearbox go on me, and I,ve had a few. Don't profess to know much about the SP gearboxes but I would expect it's more likely shagged gear selectors arms unless its had a real hard life.
They might be estimating over cautiously just incase. It's one of those jobs that you just don't know what you're in for untill the engine is out and stripped. Also, once you've got it that far you might as well go to town and check everything cause you don't want to have to do it a second time :wink:
Bad news mate :cry:
Sorry
Pete.l
gavster

Post by gavster »

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

The gear linkage is something i haven't checked and will do when i've got the bike back from being serviced. Surely, this wouldn't cause it to jump out of gear though?! ... or would it :?:

I will be contacting Honda directly as well as speaking to another dealer that's been recommended to me. I have also written to MCN for advice and have posted a similar question on the honda-forums forum.

Thanks again.

Gavin
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Good luck with it mate, hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."