Misfire at 5000RPM

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Gerrit

Re: Misfire at 5000RPM

Post by Gerrit »

Hi Bennie,

yeah I have now worked thru all the connectors, no luck, next would be to unwrap the harness all the way and check it out.....

But I have now had enough, will commute with the scooter for a while.

I had just too many issues with the VTR, time to invest in a new CBR, just a pity they so expensive here, but at least there is a 2yr warranty, so I can commute without hassles.

Gerrit
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Bad luck Gerrit :(

Mind you, I think I am in the same boat...

I cant get the problem on my VTR fixed, as its nothing mechanical, and the Ignition Control box, CDI, etc are too expensive... :(

I really dont think I would buy another Honda.
Unless it was new with a warranty as you said.

Igor.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you know it's a loose earth, wire an additional earth in to join at that point, then even if the're's a breakdown in continuity along the original earth, doesn't matter.

Preferably you find and fix, but sometime's life's too short to unwrap a whole wiring harness just to find a frayed earth lead.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Hi Tony - Bennie1

The technical guy from out office came to lend a hand last nite.

The measure ments I took with a dgital multimeter on the ICM and Ignition Puilse Generator was measured at Zero. The catch though is that at .7v it only pulses twice per revolution and it was not picked up with my Multimeter. The clever dude picked up the signal with his neeedle type multimeter.

So the above is not the problem.

I found another post similar to my problem and the guy says it was his front coil.

Honda SA has no coils in stock, ETA is a month at R1000.00 (100 pounds)

I did contact a few breaker yards, and as there was not many VTR's sold here they do not have VTR coils, but they do have plenty coils for Honda superbikes.

Any chance that these coils are very similar in capacity or output, so that I mix and match?

Your advice pls

Gerrit
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I think the honda sportsbikes (CBR's etc) being 4 cylinders use 2 coils each with 2 wires...

perhaps a couple of cheap budget car coils might do the job? :P
single lead from them to the plug....

:P :beer:

Good luck with it though :) :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

they just look like coils to me.
dont think there's anything special about them...
coils breaking down is a common fault across the board, not just storms, but if you look at the position of the front coil, it's more likely to fail cos of getting hot with being stuck under the tank & fairing.
the back one is in a much more airy position...

sometimes you can test a coil static and it bells out ok, but when it's under load or hot the insulation fails.
stick any old coils (pair) on imo - at least it will prove the fault...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

+1, any coils will do.
Use different leads and caps, too.
Just don't hold them while cranking......
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Ok so tonite is the big nite.

Got a coil, and a headlight from the breaker yard, My existing light's silver reflector is badly corroded.

Will install the coil as soon as I get home, hope to post a positive result later tonite.

Regards,
Gerrit
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Hi Guys!

The Coils did not solvethe problem.

All that remains is the ICM, and the Ignition Pulse Generator, Can it be that the IPG works up to 5000RPM, and then then starts to send an intermittent signal to the ICM ?

I need to find a local with a similar bike and swop the ICM to check, but very few VTR's were sold locally, so I am failry stuffed.

Gerrit
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Gerrit wrote:Hi Guys!

All that remains is the ICM, and the Ignition Pulse Generator, Can it be that the IPG works up to 5000RPM, and then then starts to send an intermittent signal to the ICM ?

I need to find a local with a similar bike and swop the ICM to check, but very few VTR's were sold locally, so I am failry stuffed.

Gerrit
Possible IPG fault, suggest buying one on E-Bay an swapping.
If not, you can turn it back round on E-Bay, hopefully get your cash back.
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Nah Tony, enough is enough, besides, trying to buy off ebay with a SA Ccard, not possible, I am screwed, will park the bike, and find someone to take it off my hands at a fair price.

Thanks for all ur advice anyway.

Gerrit
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

All sounds very similar to my issue...

Shame you never found the issue :(
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Miztaziggy wrote:All sounds very similar to my issue...

Gerrit had a massive off which broke the bike in half a while after this post, when leaving the Wellcome circuit if I remember rightly. I sent him a PM to see how he was doing back in May, but at present it's still sitting in my outbox.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Kev L wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote:All sounds very similar to my issue...

Gerrit had a massive off which broke the bike in half a while after this post, when leaving the Wellcome circuit if I remember rightly. I sent him a PM to see how he was doing back in May, but at present it's still sitting in my outbox.
Sorry to hear that. I see he last logged in March this year. Hope you are ok Gerrit.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Ziggy, these are the pics he posted at the time. OUCH -

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... a0#p155170
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF