Need a bit of help.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TUG

Need a bit of help.

Post by TUG »

finally got my jet kit, but the settings are for US bikes naturally, has anyone got a copy of the UK instructions?
I'm going to be doing a nice service on Thumper, she needs fresh coolant and valves doing and timing possibly but that won't matter,
Is the suspension pivot a bit of a hard task?
Is there any fall backs to having black rads?
I need head stock bearings due to poor front wheel control.... :shifty: Tapered the best bet to prevent this or will tightening them up be best?
Cheers in advance!
Phil-VTwin

Re: Need a bit of help.

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Is that a Dynojet kit? i do have the UK instructions which i can email you or try the website as that is where i downloaded mine from.
Ride Safe
Phil
TUG

Post by TUG »

sure is! If you could that would be amazingly helpful!
tug1989 at live dot co dot uk (to stop spam bots)
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Done :)
Ride Safe
Phil
TUG

Post by TUG »

Thanks! I have another problem now though ahaha, I have the yank one but i dont have 2 sets of each jet, instead they go up in 5's. What should i fit for a bike with K&N filter and scorp exhausts?
180's or 190's?
Aparantly 190 and 195... hmm, how come you dont get incriments of 5 with the brit kit?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I'd start with the 170s
Scorps arn't as free flowing as you might think :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
TUG

Post by TUG »

you sure? cos i've looked down the cans and i cant see any baffles, i have a K&N and 170's are for all stock also.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i put the 190 195 in mine and it revved great but smelled like i had a hole in the tank lol.
maybe 180 185 would be better.tbh you wont know till you dyno it.
think of it as an investment, think of the dosh you will waste on unburnt fuel if your jets are 5 oversize.

worth every penny just for the printout - mine will be getting done shortly
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Mine has the 170's with standard exhaust but baffle plate drilled and a K&N, it had 180's in when i got it and was way too rich, it previously had ART cans. So try 180 in the front and 185 in the rear carb. If thats too rich drop down to the 170/175, Of course only a dyno tune can sort it properly.

I don't have an authoritative answer on why the kits are different but here goes.....

The standard carbs have a larger jet in the rear to keep the cylinder cool, it possible that in the UK the temperatures aren't as high as the US and therefore the rear cylinder doesn't need the extra fuel to keep it cooler, or it could be that petrol is so damn expensive here why waste it cooling a cylinder!!!
Ride Safe
Phil
TUG

Post by TUG »

benny hedges wrote:i put the 190 195 in mine and it revved great but smelled like i had a hole in the tank lol.
think of it as an investment, think of the dosh you will waste on unburnt fuel if your jets are 5 oversize.

How shortly? You live by me and i wouldnt mind meeting a fellow member and an adventure?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

TUG wrote:you sure? cos i've looked down the cans and i cant see any baffles, i have a K&N and 170's are for all stock also.
No baffles, go with Phils advise :thumbup: and I'd stick the same in both carbs, 180s. if you look at the honda needles they have different pt nos front and back and like Phil said, the rear is a little richer because it gets hotter.
You'll have a lot of playing ahead of you with out a gas analyser so I would start taking notes about now :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

TUG wrote:
benny hedges wrote:i put the 190 195 in mine and it revved great but smelled like i had a hole in the tank lol.

How shortly? You live by me and i wouldnt mind meeting a fellow member and an adventure?
looking at start of june tbh, maybe go up to lancaster unless you know anywhere better - the guy knows storms apparently & it's a nice ride up the a6, belt it back down the m6 lol.

you're in pieland aren't you>?
im only tother side ot lancs, birchwood.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
TUG

Post by TUG »

Yes i live in wigan, The carbs are kind of off my bike atm and i intend on doing the following before your dyno date so i can join.
Spray rads satin black,
Valves and timing,
fit dyno jet kit,
Then rebuild.
I intend on having things powder coated over winter such as the rims, swinger, and forks.
I want white bodywork like yours but i'm unsure yet, white and red are my fave colours.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tug,
As for the steering head bearings, I nearly always replace the standard ball bearing type with tapered roller bearings. Much better IMHO.

And the painting of the rads, some say it makes the bike run hotter, but I would suggest trying a Black Heat Dispersant Paint,

Chris.
TUG

Post by TUG »

Does it? How strange, well i got some satin black to spray them with, if they get too hot then i'll remove and try dispersant.
I just did my valve clearances.... Exhausts are 10mm too right, and the inlets arn't so bad. So will my bike run crap with 10mm tight exhaust valves? I'm thinking yes.