Been and gone and done it.

General Biker Banter
simon t

Been and gone and done it.

Post by simon t »

Yes, Haze and I got married, but it's not that.

Living surrounded by mountains ans forests had given me the idea that something to get me off road might be good. Downside of living in the middle of nowhere is the difficulty finding anything. So when I was at the dealer I bought the Fazer from and saw something tall and blue with knobbly tyres - what could I do? So I'm now the proud (?) owner of a Yamaha TTR 250. I know naff all about dirt bikes but I know that two hours after buying it I was sat qt the top of a 4000 foot moutain, looking at a stunning view, so that'sb good enough for me.

Any useful advice from anyone familiar with the TTR or dirt bikes in general would be welcome. Cheers.
storminateacup

Re: Been and gone and done it.

Post by storminateacup »

Congratulations well done :clap: Oh yeah congrats on the marriage as well :oops: The only advice I can give is don't fall off (the bike or the wife) :oops:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Simon said
Any useful advice from anyone familiar with the TTR or dirt bikes in general would be welcome. Cheers.
Hell' the last time I was on one I went over a jump and bounced over the edge of a cliff. The bike was fine but I was broke :oops:
So my advise would be look before you leap....it hurts :lol:
Great fun though, the off roading, not the falling off.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

maximum respect for finding a good bird :thumbup:
dirt biking? great fun but as pete said, it can be painfull lol.
used to love my cota, then got a cr500 and totally lost my fear of death! decided it was too quick so swapped it for a cr125 and that was even quicker lol - i even thought of attaching a wing to it at one stage cos it spent so much time in the air!!
reluctantly had to quit cos i was getting too many injuries and time off work etc, plus round here there arent as many places to ride now.
sounds like you've got a beltin playground tho - enjoy it! :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Well done, congrats to you both. Isn't it nice when you know you are with the right person, even if it takes a lot of pebbles across a wide river to get there! (Just my philosophy) you have to use past experiences (stepping stones in the river) in order to get to the other side (where you want to be) Sorry, not meaning to sound deep on a Sun afternoon! Well done and well done on the bike too..To be sat that far up admiring a view you reached by bike! Can't be bad..I once felt like that when up Panorama Mountain in BC and nothing to see but amazing Rockies and the sound of the birds...didn't bike it up, god no, skied down lol..

ABB
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Sat May 29, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Dirt biking where you live has to be good, send us pictures of the scenery.

I started out on dirt bikes before getting roadbike [well I was 13 at the time], and I still love riding them......fast on the enduro bike at a MX track, slow on the trials bike, or just exploring the green lanes, its all good.

Learning to ride off road will help every road rider, feeling for grip, weighting the pegs, throttle control, front end slides, rear end slides........and thats just the 1st mile!!!!

Most crashes happen at lower speeds, but bodyarmour is still a good bet...........one of the "all in one" type vests are good but can look like you are an S&M fetish merchant with its fishnet mesh construction!!..........and knee pads and MX boots

Dont know much about the TTR, but I did read somewhere that theyre is a strong internet Forum, so you now have to go join that one as well.

This might be it : http://www.ttr250.com/

Good luck and send us the pictures

Enjoy.
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
simon t

Post by simon t »

Thanks all for your congrats (bike and Wedding).

All I can say about the TTR is that it's ann absolute hoot. Riding it on the road is so unimtimidating - makes you remember what we've lost in our quest for speed and flash. Right takes me back to my early days of biking - hopefully without the oil leaks and dodgy electrics though :roll:

Off road I've discovered all sorts of places I never knew were there - miles and miles of mountain tracks and great views. I think I've got one picture on flickr, keep forgetting to take a camera. I'll try and get some more up.

ps sorry for any typos, but French keyboards are a bit different...