New Member and buying advice

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
rumpleforeskin

New Member and buying advice

Post by rumpleforeskin »

Hi all,

looking to get back on 2 wheels again after a 3 year break and i think a big V twin will be the way to ease myself back into the saddle. I have test ridden 2 firestorms over the last month and now just lookin for the right one.

Are there any common problems i should be on the look out for when viewing a bike?
With the sunny weather just starting im really missing having a bike so hoping to find something over the next couple of weeks.

rumple
tony.mon

Re: New Member and buying advice

Post by tony.mon »

Hi, there.

You need to have a bit of a read on this forum for common problems, but don't panic, because all of the things that can cause issues are fairly easily fixed; then they're bulletproof.

First is the CCT's.
Unlike most bikes, even those (like the Blackbird) with the same CCT fitted, Storms can (if the CCT fails, the internal spring on the front one is the usual culprit) slacken the cam chain enough for it to jump two or more teeth and this means that valves hit pistons.

Easily remedied with fitting manual CCT's- not a big job but you can get lots of help and advice on here.

Secondly, that old Honda bugbear of the regulator/rectifier- again a standard solution is to fit one form an R1 or R6, again once done you can forget this forever.

The third thing you'll notice is the cough you get through the airbox when the carbs are out of balance. Again, easily rectified and people on here will help you out with balancing if you're not that confident.

That's about it, really, they're fairly understressed and so don't wear out. Chains, steering head bearings, tyres all need to be ok, but that's the same for any buke.

When looking for one I'd be looking for an owner who knows about the bike, and has ridden it fairly regularly.
Carbs (like any other make or model) can gum up if it's been standing for a year or more it'll need the carbs cleaning properly.

Popular mods are K+N or similar air filters, race cans, but if these are fitted I'd hope to see some evidence that it's had a Dyno Jet kit properly set up on a dyno at some stage.
Watch out for a bike with standard cans on, but a jet kit fitted- it means the original owner's stripped off the cans to go on E-Bay but hasn't put the jetting back to standard.

And if you get a bike with race cans you'll need standard ones for the MOT, although you can pick these up for £30-50.

That's it, really, don't be worried by bigger mileages if the bike's been looked after by someone who knows what they're doing, and keep an eye on the "sales and swaps" section on here.

Last bit of advice- this is a great forum, everyone helps each other out and there's none of the bitching and arguing that normally happens.

So you've come to the right place!

Good luck with your hunt, and it may well be that another owner will be able to come with you to cast an eye over a prospective purchase if you let us know what area you live in. :thumbup:

BTW, this is all relevant to the Firestorm; if you're considering an SP1 or SP2 then one of the owners is better placed to give advice, they're different- for instance they both have gear-driven cams, so can't have CCT failures etc.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

duh??? dunno what happened to my post then but looks like tony covered it all anyway, but another thing, as i just recently found...
as it's an ally frame, check the yoke stop lugs on the frame for deformity - no biggy if the bike is tidy, but it will show if it's been dinged in the past and will be a good haggling tool.

depending where you are and what your budget is, there may be one or 2 for sale on here, not sure if they have already gone, but worth asking all the same, then you get a looked after bike with all the bugs already sorted.

to check if manual ccts have been fitted, have a look at the 'where to buy ape cct from' thread, scroll down and theres a pic of what a standard camchain tensioner looks like.

it isnt cast in stone that they will fail, but if you intend riding it hard, which you will! then it's a mod well worth doing.
not the fastest bike on the road by any means, but quick enough for the road belive me lol, and you will love the torque and sound.
if you live near any tunnels that's where you will spend the rest of your days!

you will like it here - good knowledgable folk, all take the piss! :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
rumpleforeskin

Post by rumpleforeskin »

thanks for the advice and warm welcome
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard RFS :thumbup:

The CCT's and Rectifier are really the only things that need sorting out, which have already been said.

Chris.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome to the forum foreskin! :biggrin
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
strachg

Post by strachg »

Welcome mate, just joined and bought one myself pick it up Saturday.

Graham
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

What Tony said :)
SP1's rock!
simo

Post by simo »

Welcome to the forum ord rock :biggrin :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Hiya there

There are some great hints and tips on the forum to help us all out, so you won't be alone in anything you are doing for long!

Not too sure where you are based, maybe see you out sometime :-) Or maybe on this run around mid Wales that we are trying to organise for July.

ABB
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Mon May 31, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
rumpleforeskin

Post by rumpleforeskin »

picked up a VTR at the weekend, a bit older than i was originaly looking for but it had lowish miles for its age and allready had the suspension ungraded and CCT's changed 3,000 miles ago.

The torque these engines put out is insane, considering how much less BHP it puts out than my last bike its quite shocking how how often the speedo is pointing straight up.

I also like that little red light on the rev counter that lets you know you have been riding for 1 hour and need to stretch your legs :D

Only gripe i have with the machine i brought is it has a single seat mod that does not fit perfectly so looks a bit out of place, i have the original seat subframe and undertray but missing the seat and fairing, i'll have to keep an eye on fleabay and stick a post in the wanted section.

There many other storm owners in bedfordshire? the mid wales july event should be a blast.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Glad you're liking it RFS
That VTwin grunt is good, innit! :D
:D Welcome Aboard :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
flying banana

Post by flying banana »