suspention help

General Bike chat
garymitch

suspention help

Post by garymitch »

is there anyone any good out there with suspention set ups. it was just to get an idea for my vtr.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: suspention help

Post by Pete.L »

Yeah I'm pretty good
First tip, you spell it like this
Suspension

Pete.l :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Pete, And here's me thinking your eyes where going, I know you are good with suspension.....
I've been told you even have a spring in your step....O.K. I'm on the next bus outta here.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just ask Roger at Revolution for his tips on set-up and mods that work.
If you search the workshop forum there's loads of info, various options, as ever no real definitive answer, depends on your usage and what sort of riding you do.

Generally, the front's too undersprung and the rear's oversprung, apparently.
So avoid them potholes!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

ChrisC wrote:Pete, And here's me thinking your eyes where going, I know you are good with suspension.....
I've been told you even have a spring in your step....O.K. I'm on the next bus outta here.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry Gary,
couldn't resist :D
Here's a little set up guide I pinched from somewhere. Not specifically for the Firestorm but good for all bikes

LACK OF REBOUND DAMPING (FORK)
ï‚· The fork offers a supremely plush ride, especially when riding straight up. When the pace picks up, however, the feeling of control is lost. The fork feels mushy, and traction "feel" is poor.
ï‚· After hitting bumps at speed, the front tire tends to chatter or bounce.
ï‚· When flicking the bike into a corner at speed, the front tire begins to chatter and lose traction. This translates into an unstable feel at the clip-ons.
ï‚· As speed increases and steering inputs become more aggressive, a lack of control begins to appear. Chassis attitude and pitch become a real problem, with the front end refusing to stabilize after the bike is countersteered hard into a turn.
TOO MUCH REBOUND DAMPING (FORK)
ï‚· The ride is quite harsh--just the opposite of the plush feel of too little rebound. Rough pavement makes the fork feel as if it's locking up with stiction and harshness.
ï‚· Under hard acceleration exiting bumpy corners, the front end feels like it wants to "wiggle" or "tankslap." The tire feels as if it isn't staying in contact with the pavement when on the gas.
ï‚· The harsh, unforgiving ride makes the bike hard to control when riding through dips and rolling bumps at speed. The suspension's reluctance to maintain tire traction through these sections erodes rider confidence.
LACK OF COMPRESSION DAMPING (FORK)
ï‚· Front end dive while on the brakes becomes excessive.
ï‚· The rear end of the motorcycle wants to "come around" when using the front brakes aggressively.
ï‚· The front suspension "bottoms out" with a solid hit under heavy braking and after hitting bumps.
ï‚· The front end has a mushy and semi-vague feeling--similar to lack of rebound damping.
TOO MUCH COMPRESSION DAMPING (FORK)
ï‚· The ride is overly harsh, especially at the point when bumps and ripples are contacted by the front wheel.
ï‚· Bumps and ripples are felt directly; the initial "hit" is routed through the chassis instantly, with big bumps bouncing the tire off the pavement.
ï‚· The bike's ride height is effected negatively--the front end winds up riding too high in the corners.
ï‚· Brake dive is reduced drastically, though the chassis is upset significantly by bumps encountered during braking.
LACK OF REBOUND DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
ï‚· The ride is plush at cruising speeds, but as the pace increases, the chassis begins to wallow and weave through bumpy corners.
ï‚· This causes poor traction over bumps under hard acceleration; the rear tire starts to chatter due to a lack of wheel control.
ï‚· There is excessive chassis pitch through large bumps and dips at speed and the rear end rebounds too quickly, upsetting the chassis with a pogo-stick action.
TOO MUCH REBOUND DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
ï‚· This creates an uneven ride. The rear suspension compliance is poor and the "feel" is vague.
ï‚· Traction is poor over bumps during hard acceleration (due to lack of suspension compliance).
ï‚· The bike wants to run wide in corners since the rear end is "packing down"; this forces a nose-high chassis attitude, which slows down steering.
ï‚· The rear end wants to hop and skip when the throttle is chopped during aggressive corner entries.
LACK OF COMPRESSION DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
ï‚· There is too much rear end "squat" under acceleration; the bike wants to steer wide exiting corners (since the chassis is riding rear low/nose high).
ï‚· Hitting bumps at speed causes the rear to bottom out, which upsets the chassis.
ï‚· The chassis attitude is affected too much by large dips and G-outs.
ï‚· Steering and control become difficult due to excessive suspension movement.
TOO MUCH COMPRESSION DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
ï‚· The ride is harsh, though not quite as bad as too much rebound; the faster you go, the worse it gets, however.
ï‚· Harshness hurts rear tire traction over bumps, especially during deceleration. There's little rear end "squat" under acceleration.
ï‚· Medium to large bumps are felt directly through the chassis; when hit at speed, the rear end kicks up.
garymitch

Post by garymitch »

has anyone got roger at Revolution web address or phone number plze.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

the man himself :thumbup:

all contact details are on his webby.

http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/homepage.htm
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
garymitch

Post by garymitch »

cheers bud :thumbup:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Oh Dear!
it looks as though I've been Blanked :eek2

Kids of today eh! You try to give them a bit of advice and as soon as it becomes a bit of an effort, they just give up :(
Oh well, my bike handles just fine :mrgreen:

Pete.l
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Pete.L wrote:
Oh Dear!
it looks as though I've been Blanked
i didn't understand it......... :confused
Pete.L wrote: LACK OF REBOUND DAMPING (PORK)
ï‚· The pork offers a supremely plush ride, especially when riding straight up. When the pace picks up, however, the feeling of control is lost. The pork feels mushy, and eraction "feel" is poor.
ï‚· After hitting bums at speed, the front flaps tends to chatter or bounce.
ï‚· When flicking the bean in a corner at speed, the front flaps begins to chatter and lose traction. This translates into an unstable feel at the clit-oris.
ï‚· As speed increases and shagging inputs become more aggressive, a lack of control begins to appear. Classy attitude and bitch become a real problem, with the front end refusing to stabilize after the dike is counterslammed hard in the elbow....
:Ball Kick: :silent:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

benny hedges wrote:
Pete.L wrote: LACK OF REBOUND DAMPING (PORK)
ï‚· The pork offers a supremely plush ride, especially when riding straight up. When the pace picks up, however, the feeling of control is lost. The pork feels mushy, and eraction "feel" is poor.
ï‚· After hitting bums at speed, the front flaps tends to chatter or bounce.
ï‚· When flicking the bean in a corner at speed, the front flaps begins to chatter and lose traction. This translates into an unstable feel at the clit-oris.
ï‚· As speed increases and shagging inputs become more aggressive, a lack of control begins to appear. Classy attitude and bitch become a real problem, with the front end refusing to stabilize after the dike is counterslammed hard in the elbow....
:Ball Kick: :silent:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
OMG Benny!
What have you been smokin?
That's hilarious :thumbup:

Pete.l
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Pete.L wrote:have you been smokin?
it's these tablets i'm on as punishment for falling off.
i keep dreaming about disney characters giving me advice and they make my wee smell.
garymitch

Post by garymitch »

Pete.L wrote:Oh Dear!
it looks as though I've been Blanked :eek2

Kids of today eh! You try to give them a bit of advice and as soon as it becomes a bit of an effort, they just give up :(
Oh well, my bike handles just fine :mrgreen:

Pete.l
pete. i wish i was a kid. im 42 and no iv not blanked you. iv just been busy with other things . yes i made a spelling mistake and im sorry for that as i was in a rush the day i posted up the thread. as for your advice. thank you.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

No need to appologise Gary, I was only yanking your chain :thumbup:
If we all got our hair off every time we felt slighted or took someones words the wrong way, or not the way they were intended we would be as bad as all them other sites. We've got a real good bunch of folks on here and as you can see from one of the other posts the majority ( myself included) are in the 35-55 bracket so we're all big enough to know manors cost nothing and it's easier to get along than not. I'm pretty sure I've written some crap that has pissed plenty of folk off, so I can't go throwing too many stones, well not in my back yard so to speak :wink:

Have a good one :thumbup:
Pete.l
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

[quote="Pete.L"]No need to appologise Gary, I was only yanking your chain :thumbup:
If we all got our hair off every time we took someone the wrong way???? I'm pretty sure I've written some crap that has pissed plenty of folk off

Oh yes...............we have a sense of humour..............he he he
it may be clever, but its not big.