Wiseco pistons???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete

Wiseco pistons???

Post by Pete »

Hi all,

I've a couple of questions for anyone who'd be in the know about engine mods:

Do any of you lads have experience with the wiseco piston kit for the VTR?

They raise the bikes compression to 12.7:1 from standard, any idea what this would work out at in bhp?

How easy would it be to fit the kit(pistons, ring set, gudgeon pins &circlips)?

I've been told the only preparation that is needed is to hone/de-glaze the cylinders, what would be involved there?

I was looking at the moriwaki kits originally, but I got a good price on the wiseco kit from bikerbazaar.com here in Ireland. I've done some snooping and have been told that the wiseco stuff is pretty decent.

Thanks for your time gents:)
Peter Brennan.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Umm, that a bit more compression than the moriwaki, they are 11.6:1 which is a good increase, puts em inline with a TL and a 916. Never used a set of wiseco jobbies, think they are cheaper. Did the deglaze meself with a b8stard file, no only joking but did it meself ok. Ilike the moriwaki cos it sounds japanese and fast.

Del.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

there you have it.....Del's opinion......."i like Moriwaki cos it sounds japanese & fast"..........

Err Del m8........not exactly a convincing plug m8........your suppossed to say "moriwaki are the best/most reliable product on the market etc, etc......" :wink:
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I take it that Del does'nt work in the marketing industry then :lol:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Err, only because I've never ridden (or put one together) a bike with wiseco pistons in it. I think they are alot cheaper so there's that phrase, you pays ya money!!!

Del.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers Del,

How hard would you reckon it is to do 'em and how long(going by your experience with the 'waki stuff)? I've got a mate who's an aircraft engineer who I might be able to talk into doing it. He knows his stuff too coz he's had firestorms and has repaired mine in the past.

Whats involved in the de-glaze?

I like the moriwaki cos it sounds japanese and fast.
LOL, you should have that as your signature quote :D
Peter Brennan.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

err, you can buy a honeing tool from snap-on or dare i say it halfords, I borrowed one off a mate and just wazed it in d bores. I would say if you have it all stripped down then just pay a reboring shop to do it, won't cost much and you don't have to buy a tool to use once. I'll see what it say's in the manual, might say do it with a scouring pad or somit, will see.

Has to be completely stripped to change the pistons, totally. A box of bits then build it all up again.

Del.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cool, cheers:)
Peter Brennan.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Don't know about the pistons but as far as honing the bore goes, you're looking to get a slightly rough finish so the piston rings can bed in properly.
Some fine wet & dry paper on a bit of dowel does the job perfectly well. Just remember to thoroughly clean the barrel afterwards coz there's nothing an engine likes more than a shed load of grit swilling round inside it!! NOT!

Ben
steve trow

Post by steve trow »

Didnt moriwaki use to commentate on the F1 grand prix or am i still deaf and daft after forgetting my ear plugs again.......bloody race cans......? :lol: