Battery discharging

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
skinner

Battery discharging

Post by skinner »

Hi
I,m looking for some advice if anyone can help. I have a 1998 firestorm, the bike runs great then I can go for a run and park the bike .When I come back the battery is flat. It will jump start OK and by the time i get home battery seems ok and retaining the charge. It will be ok for weeks sometimes months then suddenly it goes flat again. Its a new battery, someone said it could possibly be the battery regulater/rectifier causing the problem, but i,m not sure and they are quite expensive to replace. Anyone had a similar problem
Skinner
I used to be indescisive,now I,m not so sure
coledog

Re: Battery discharging

Post by coledog »

check wireing from alternator might be loose or terminals dirty, but prob. the reg./rec
Matt Black 04 model
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The rectifier is located under the seat/tail plastic's on the righthand side of the bike (throttle side). If your bike has the original rectifier there will not be any cooling fin's on it which is what shortens it's life. The later models had cooling fin's fitted. The connections occasionally on the rectifier have been known to become corroded and may be worth checking out.

A Yamaha R1 or R6 earlier type rectifier is what most replace theirs with and can be purchase 2nd hand on ebay for around £20 or if you're lucky may even be less.

I'm not sure it is you rectifier though that's causing your problems. Your best bet would be to get hold of a multi-meter and check at the battery terminals to see what you bike is charging first. Also have a look at Rich's (Cupasoop) link which is very helpful.

Chris.
nobby50

Post by nobby50 »

Having bought a new battery yesterday , coz the old one was goosed . I went for a 50 mile blast this afternoon , while slowing down at a junction the bike stalled , nothing new there , she has always done it i thought . Until i hit the start button !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing but the sound of the starter relay clicking . sh1t !!!! she wouldnt start , so £10.50 lighter from a set of jump leads from halfords and a jump start from a cbr 600 she fires back into life . Running fine on the 50 mile trip back . I parked it straight in the shed in utter disgust she had let me down. I tried to start her up again to no avail , flat !! An hour later i went back and tried her again and she fired straight up into life :D

Any suggestions as to what is heating up and stopping my beloved from starting as she is fine from cold .

cheers

Nobby .
It might be old, but it still kicks ass !
tattie

Post by tattie »

Hi Skinner /Nobby (long time no hear), I had a similar prob with my storm, It would go then it would'nt, changed the battery and it was the same. It turned out to be the connection to the starter, mind you the bike had been sitting for a good while. Tried to jump start as well but no joy. As Chris says i would check out the reg /rect as well.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
nobby50

Post by nobby50 »

Hiya tattie , your right ! long time no speak , i aint been on here since dec 07 lol bad me , funnily enough i wondered about the starter motor . I will have a peek at it 2morrow . cheers :D
It might be old, but it still kicks ass !