CCT's (Sorry...)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
IgorVigor

CCT's (Sorry...)

Post by IgorVigor »

Hello.

I am picking up my VTR next week and am really looking forwards to it...

Thing is, I know about the CCT problems.

As soon as I can (or if the tell tale noise develops) I will replace the CCT's with manual ones...
That fine, its an easy job.

What I wanted to ask though, is can someone tell me the best way of knowing when the tension is set correctly?

I have read through several forums and other sources, and they all say different methods...

Is there a specific way for the VTR?

The basic method I read was to fit the tensioners, and then turn them in until a little resistance is felt, then back them off 1/4 of a turn.
And then start the engine and listen for rattles or whines, and tighten or loosen 1/4 of a turn respectively.

Thanks in advance,

Igor.
goody

Re: CCT's (Sorry...)

Post by goody »

Look at the "bloody CCT" thread , sorry not a go at you thats just the title of the thread! what you've stated seems to agree with storminjoe so I think you're on the right track.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

The APEs come with instructions for the amount of play between the cams whilst you have the cam covers off. I set mine to that (sorry, can't remember offhand what it was) and they have been fine for 8,000 miles since. Did check a while ago but there was no extra play so I've left well alone. If I start to get a little rattle I will know its time for a 1/4 turn.

The peace of mind you get with these is immeasurable IMHO, and I'm sure (as are others) that the bike performs a bit better too!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Thanks for the replies...

I definitely will get a pair of APE tensioners for my bike...

8'000 miles without adjustment! :O
I was expecting 1'000 miles :P

Will follow the instructions supplied and listen out for a slight rattle :P

Thanks again,

Igor...
gilson

Post by gilson »

I've just had my engine refreshed by Roger Ditchfield and he found that I had two valves that had been tipped, i.e. hit by the piston. The reason for this was a manual CCT that was tightened too tight resulting in a timing issue- possibly as much as half a tooth.

I guess there's some skill involved with this tension...he only uses them on his race bikes and regularly adjusts them by ear!

Something to bear in mind.
No bike (yet).
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Hope it didnt cost too much to fix it :S...

I was thinking, when I fit them, that if it has a slight rattle just to tighten the tensioners very slightly...

I dare say everything will be good :)

Thanks for the input everyone.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Just checked when I bought/installed mine. It was January 2007 and, like I say, they haven't caused any problems.

Debben also say that they would need regular adjustment on race engines but on road bikes, checking at the normal service intervals is adequate.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!