funny noise

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
iainm

funny noise

Post by iainm »

There is an intermitant fluttering noise coming from somewhere near the front of my 17000mile 'storm. It starts after riding for a few minutes but I can only here it when I pull up due to wind noise. Took it to a local garage, he said top end is rattling, poss cam belt tensioner. I don't think this is the source of my fluttering noise though.

Any ideas fella's?
tony.wilde1

noises

Post by tony.wilde1 »

could be cam chain tensioners mate.theres been loads about them here.going pop and ruining engines.im just about to get some billet manual tensioners that cant back out no matter what.have a look through here and see what others have had happen!!whatever you do dont ignore the noise or..boom!!yer engine will be toast!cheers mate!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Ian.
Think again my friend. Thats the most common description and mine started doing it at 18,000. Some do it a lot earlier.
Try putting a long handle screwdriver to the tensioner body (other end to your ear) when it's doing it and then compair what you hear to the other tensioner.
There's loads of info about tensioners in here. Go back through some old stuff I'm sure it will help
Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

change both tensioners asap, won't cost a fortune, about £100 parts then a few hours of your time. Check out the threads about how to do it, don't just swap em over without getting the cylinders on the compression stroke (only happens every 720 degrees - not heat??). Cut corners and you will end up with messed up cam timing. Anyway do this and the noise should go, it's a cheap option and if you ignore then ya bike could end up knackered. Or I can do it if you are local?

Shoot the bloke that told you it was the cam belt, wot did you go to a harley dealership :oops:

Del.