Greetings

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Pantaloonie

Greetings

Post by Pantaloonie »

Hi all, thought I'd stop in and say hello.
Following 10 or so years riding TDM850's, I've been off 2 wheels for a couple of years - until I was recently offered a '98 Yellow VTR1000 by a workmate. He apparently got a puncture a year ago, stuck it in his garden, and left it. He was very vague on details, but said I could take it away for £250. Seemed too good an offer to turn down...
Fast forward a couple of weeks, after a good clean and about £400 on tyres, pads, chain and sprocks, new battery and a service, and it's reborn! £650 for a near minter with 19k on the clock, did I do good?
I've been riding it for a week now, and love it... the riding position is gonna take a bit of geting used to, I'm 6'4" and my wrists are suffering a bit. I've been eyeing up the £50 risers on fleabay, do they make much difference?
Anyway.... I'll be back on the train for the next few days, as the regulator/rectifier let out it's magic smoke yesterday - no symptoms other than the battery totally draining in 24 hours, when I recharged it and started the bike, I saw the smoke from the r/r.
I'm off to read a few threads to see what the best replacement unit will be.
coledog

Re: Greetings

Post by coledog »

G'day mate hows it going sounds like you did well, plenty of advice on these pages
Matt Black 04 model
andyh

Post by andyh »

Hi Pantaloonie, I would say you done quite well out of that :clap: :clap: got any piccys :worthless_thread_wo_pics:
Pantaloonie

Post by Pantaloonie »

These were taken the day I picked it up, after a quick wash.

Last edited by Pantaloonie on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

nice for the price, I wouild change your oil and filter evey 500 miles for the first 1000 miles to clear junk out and change the antifreeze solution as well, using battery topup water and silica free antifreeze mix(pinky stuff normally) and also all your brake/clutch fluids and if yourre up for it the fork oil could do with a change, all this as a precaution as it has been standing a fair time and could save you engine problems later. :thumbup:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Wow.....Yellow with black frame and blue wheels........not a common combo :D looks like you did good with the price. R6 is a commomn rectifier swap but you are looking for the finned variety rather than the shitty gel type. Enjoy and welcome to the forum
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:D Sounds like you got a bargin :D
Shame about the colour though :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Arrr...Welcome looks as if you've got yourself a bit of a bargain there :thumbup: ....enjoy
cheers ChrisC.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Nice one :thumbup:

Welcome :)
SP1's rock!
Pantaloonie

Post by Pantaloonie »

Cheers for the advice, all that's been covered except the fork oil. A little time will tell if that needs attention.
Just nabbed an R6 Regulator/rectifier for £16 on the bay of e, roll on the weekend. :Stewy: :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sweet.
Gotta get the paddock stand resprayed, though, or the bike'll reject it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Get those baffles knocked out of there geezer!!!!
Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Pantaloonie :!: :D

Did you do well :?: I should certainly think you did very well :thumbup:

Chris.