Looked at an SP yesterday

General Biker Banter
tattie

Looked at an SP yesterday

Post by tattie »

Like it says I went to look at an SP (W plate) at a garage not too far from me. I walked in and asked the bloke who came over to me about the bike, he proceeded to wheel it out, wow! it was filthy, any how they were looking for £4,100.00 :lol: "oh and it needs a new top fairing" he says, only £120.00 from Dave Silvers, mileage 14k rust on every fastner. "New pads been fitted" and no juddering from the front discs (I would hope not at 14k miles I thought) I gave it a good look over and did the usual checks etc, the chain was so tight you would not believe it :eek2 . "Na" not for me so I was walking away and a "person" :? came over and said "this is my toy" this person was a training instructor working from the garage!!!!. They said that it was a good price and was not open to much haggling, I commented on the condition of the bike and they replied they are for using and are becoming increasingly rare ( FFS! In that condition very true I thought :biggrin ) Never mind I am going to spend a few hours looking on the tinternet tonight to see what I can find.

Headed from the bike garage up to Inverness to pick up the wifes new (to her) car and then home for a bite to eat. Headed out for a run later in the car and ended up in Tongue via Lairg on the A836 then Durness on the A838 via Rhiconich, Laxford Bridge, A894 to Scourie over the Kylesku bridge and down to Loch Assynt then A837 to Ledmore Junction and A835 to Ullapool, stopped for fish and chips :D Then headed home via Contin, Strathpeffer (pipe band were playing in the square, a very stirring sound :) )and
Dingwall to Inver G. A run of 252 miles, every one of them filled with fantastic scenery I have never seen so many bikes. All in all a good day. Got home about 9.00pm, walked the dog, watered the plants in the garden and finished with 10 minutes to spare before sitting down to watch "The Boss" at Glastonbury, what can I say other than he was bloody magic, what a performer. If he is ever going to be there again I will have to make the effort to get down to see him.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Beamish

Re: Looked at an SP yesterday

Post by Beamish »

Sounds like walking away was the best option Tattie. tell you what although the SP riding postion is comfortable the bl**dy seat isnt 8O 250 miles today took its toll :lol: :lol: Bloomin worth it though 8)
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Do they do a Honda gel seat for it? Or is it a case of sending yours away for refurb?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Beamish wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Do they do a Honda gel seat for it? Or is it a case of sending yours away for refurb?
mine's been modded and very soft it is too :biggrin
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I just ate more pies.
Now my A$$ is big and soft instead :biggrin
And,Bonus, I didn't have to send the seat away and I enjoyed spending the extra cash :D

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Razor

Post by Razor »

Standard seat on my SP1 and I get no probs when I go from Hungerford to Aberystwyth and back, about a 400 mile round trip.
Have to be honest tho, my ass isn't on the seat very much when I hit the Welsh roads :D

Going back to the orig topic of this post, £4100 for an SP1 in that condition, they're extracting the urine.
I came close to selling my SP a few months ago, was looking for £3500, Y reg 14k on the clock FSH and not far off mint condition.
You did a wise thing to walk away m8
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Razor wrote:Standard seat on my SP1 and I get no probs when I go from Hungerford to Aberystwyth and back, about a 400 mile round trip.
Have to be honest tho, my ass isn't on the seat very much when I hit the Welsh roads :D

Going back to the orig topic of this post, £4100 for an SP1 in that condition, they're extracting the urine.
I came close to selling my SP a few months ago, was looking for £3500, Y reg 14k on the clock FSH and not far off mint condition.
You did a wise thing to walk away m8
How the hell does a Y Reg bike have 14K on it! I would do 1000 miles a weekend if I had no kids/wife :lol: have you decided to keep it now?
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

FirestormMike wrote:Mine has 14k on it !
Had 8 when I bought it a year ago, will have had it 12 months on the 21st. :)
6K a year is about the norm for a used bike. What the hell do these people do.........polish it 8)
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I do around 3k a year ,average i believe, but it looks like it could be more this year :)

Motorcycling should be fun.....and if its rainin, or threatening to rain , i don't go ,...i dont mind gettin wet on the way home from a run, but hate gettin soaked on the way there.

Not just the weather, but money comes into it as well....well it does for me , i personally couldn't afford to do 300 miles every Sunday ,due to price of petrol and tyres etc , as much as i'd like to.......and then there's my fooked back to think about as well.... :( ...........but the good news on that is its bloody really sore after 50 miles ,but isnt much worse after 250 miles ,as long as i pop a few painkillers which i had to do on Sunday for our Ireland trip .
Stevie
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
Last edited by LotusSevenMan on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

We are all different and this is just my opinion . A friend of mine has spent quite a lot of cash doing up a GSX1100ES but he never rides it! Just my opinion but donate the bike to a museum if preserving the species is highest on your list. As I get older my bikes will change to models that I can ride, not look at. My bikes are maintained to a high std but not concours, I will leave that to the car and trailer brigade. I bow down to guys that worship at that altar and enjoy their labours but its not my religion at all.
tattie

Post by tattie »

Beamish,
my sentiments exactly, I have a couple of mates who will spend 3-4 hours washing and polishing after a run of usually no more than 100 miles!!! My 97 storm has 30 odd thou on it and it gets used, it also gets maintained as an when required. the last two years I have not managed to get out as much as I would have liked due to work commitments but that's the way it is.
Never mind, off to Knockhill on Sunday, Balinluig for 8am (bacon rolls and tea) then off to the circuit, 175 miles each way. You would not believe the number of bikers that don't take their bikes to the racing, just in case they have to spend 10 hours with a toothbrush and the polish :lol: They dont know what they are missing.

Cheers

A.M.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Mileage? Pah

I bought my '04 Blade in Feb '08. 222 miles on the clock. Previously owned by a Honda rep. Put 200 miles on it, scared himself and then left it in his garage.

Over 9.5k on it now though!
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

Which garage was selling the SP1 Tattie?

Bob

:D :D
tattie

Post by tattie »

My mistake Bob it was Two wheels in Edinburgh a 2003 one and it looked in good strip.

No doubt I will see plenty tomorrow at Knockhill, which will increase my lusting after one even more.

Cheers

A.M.