SP Fueling

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beamish

SP Fueling

Post by Beamish »

At minimal throttle openings (as in trying to maintain 30mph) the bike lurches as the RPM start to hunt. Absolutely sweet on accel though and no noticeable flat spots. Is this pretty normal for an SP2? Am I going to have to PC it and spend some cash on Dyno time?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tattie

Re: SP Fueling

Post by tattie »

I was speaking to a lad at a local bike shop last year and was asking him about the alleged jerky fueling on the sp1 and asked for his opinion on the need to fit a PC and all the gubbings that go with it. His reply was to adjust the throttle cables to give a little bit more free play ? that he said would lessen the jerking when you go over even the slightest bumps at low speed. Not too sure if it would work but food for thought.
I am sure our more mechy minded members will put me straight on that.

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Razor

Post by Razor »

I've got the same prob on my SP1, it's a little better since I fitted the Power Commander and loaded the correct map for my zorts but I think it needs a bit of fine tunning.
Due for a major service very soon, as soon as i've got that done then it's onto a rolling road for a bit of tweaking.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
custard

Post by custard »

It's the same on all SP-2's. Apparently not as bad as 1's but not great.

Both mine and a 05 model I test rode both did it. I find the slowest I can really go is 40 mph. Thats at 4k rpm lol
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep!
Need a steady hand over the bumpy stuff in traffic. All that torque and engine drag can make it a bit rough at the worst possible times. :oops:
You get used to it though, Just like the Storms the unjectors need to be ballanced, throttle cables is a good tip and running a higher gear can smoothe it down too. I've got an Intec valve from Harris on mine. It enables me to adjust the engine drag and that makes a difference too.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

As others have said, its all part of the character.

Good point on the throttle body balancing...I've heard that it makes a big difference.

Antoher thing I found on my old one was that the Throttle Position would need frequent calibration in the Power Commander software....it used to drift after a few months which would lead to a jerky throttle response (and stalling when the throttle was slammed shut on heavy braking).

Get a PC and some nice cans....you know you want to!

<edited for schpellung>
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I was about to add that I think it was due to a bumpy road as the throttle is very sharp and you have confirmed my thoughts. Thanks. Some good tips about thr throttle bodies and the cable.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'