Hello from Carshalton!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
goody

Hello from Carshalton!

Post by goody »

Not quite a Firestorm owner yet. My pegaso left me stranded the other day so I decided enough was enough and will be putting it on ebay tomorrow. Chatting to friend he told me another friend was selling his Firestorm and only wanted £900 for it, too good a price to turn down I think. I've known the bike from almost new it's a '99 with 33K on the clock and one owner. Not mint it's used in all weathers but it'll clean up well. Needs a new rear brake disc and a service. Took it for a ride and it felt good bars are too low for me so a swap for some vfr bars is on the cards. I plan to do the shims, replace the CCT's and usual service items. Should get it within the next couple of weeks.
The cct replacement guide in the workshop section looks easy to follow can anyone point me in the right direction for something similar to do the shims and set up the carbs?
Cheers Steve.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Carshalton!

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Steve :!: :D

You've certainly seem to have done your homework very well on the Firestorm.

Regarding the valve clearances, that process is explained reasonably well in the Haynes workshop manual. However if they were done at the 16,000 mile service as they should have been, I doubt if they need re-shimming. To make it easier to check them you'll need a set of cranked feeler gauges, I tried it with ordinary straight ones but I gave in, in the end and went out and bought a cranked set, so much easier with them.

If nearer the time when you want to do the job (valve clearance check), if you have any questions we'll do our best to answer them :)

Cheers,

Chris.

PS. You certainly got your bike at a good price :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hey, mate. :plainsmile

Was down your way with Eltomo Sunday, met up at Boxhill for a coffee and a look at each other's bikes.

(his was shinier, but mine was louder :D )

I'm around for the next couple of weeks, as I'm waiting for a start date for a new job. if you get your storm before then I can help out with any jobs you need, if you like- I've got all the special tools!

Trying to get a bit more interest with south of the country rideouts, so if you're up for a trip out once you're mobile, let us know.

Hope you enjoy your bike!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Welcome to the forum :)
SP1's rock!
goody

Post by goody »

Picked her up today, it's been a long time since I've had a sports bike have they always been this uncomfortable? One owner (a mate) full history 33K miles £900!Image
Got a slight rattle :eek2 see my post in the workshop section. I'll wait for a few replies but I've got an idea what it is. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.
Never been a fan of black ones always prefered yellow but it's growing on me!
Just out of interest back in 99 when my mate bought this he paid £6400 about the same time I bought a yellow Hornet brand new for £4000.
He's bought a Triumph custom thing to replace it cost him £6800 a fiddler I think it's called.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Looks like a good un mate. fiddler? Thought everyone was :D saves on calories and lube :wink2
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Hi there Mate! Welcome along too! When I read your post I thought i'd have mine before you.... Just pipped me to the post though, I get mine on Tuesday!

I'm always up for a Southern rideout. I'm in the beginners group though as I've only had my full licence for a few months. I'm Luton based so can come down South or meet up going West??

Looks a goodun' BTW!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hi, mate.

Might see you about- I start my new job in Epsom and Cranleigh on Tuesday, so will be slogging round the M25/M3 or A25 from Sevenoaks commuting daily on The Jaundiced One.

Bike's looking very neat for that mileage (should that be kilometerage?) doesn't look wintered at all.

Don't get hung up on the colour- mine started out all yellow but is gradually turning Carbon black!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.