Gear lever

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
BigD

Gear lever

Post by BigD »

Anyone know if the SP1/SP2 or other Honda bike gear lever will fit the Firestorm. Mines a 1998.

Seen a SP1 gear change assembly on fleabay which looks similar. Only need the lever with the 'pedal bit' after it snapped off (well it would do wouldn't it if you hit it with a hammer trying to straighten it!!).
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Re: Gear lever

Post by RedStormV »

You could always drill it and bolt it temporarily.

Did one for Queensbury Lad when he dropped his, used a bit of old steel tube and the original rubber too.

TBH I think the tube was either part of an old indicator stem, probably off A100 or GT125 maybe or even a gudgeon pin off same.

You couldn't tell the difference without close inspection either, worked a treat.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I've swapped gear levers about on various Hondas, always seems to be the same fitting.
Can't say that this holds true for all Hondas, though.
One of the old tricks to cure missed gears was to fit a shorter lever.
This makes it harder to find neutral, but more positive gear selection.

Old 500 four levers were lovely and short, as I recall. (shuffles off to get pipe and slippers, and complain about price of half of mild).
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BigD

Post by BigD »

Thanks for the replies. Bit the bullet and ordered one from David Silver for £26 plus VAT :? :? Just thought super glue wouldn't hold it therefore new one required!!
BigD

Post by BigD »

Part hasn't arrived yet, so decided to have a go at a diy fix. Drilled it and put the rubber on a bolt and tbh looks alright. Is there anything I can do/use to stop the nut working loose like a Loctite product?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you've drilled and tapped the lever, then a single locknut behind it will do.
If you've just drilled a clearance hole, then you'll need to put a nut either side of the arm.

Check for clearance behind the lever throughout the full travel.

Otherwise, any thread lock should be ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Aye, pretty much what Tony said.

When I did QBL's the bolt went through clearence hole, so put a lock nut either side of the lever.

To make double sure and a little for aesthetics, ground the nut & bolt end down a bit on the engine side of the lever, then took a small cold chisel and burred the bolt thread edge over a little to make sure it didn't budge.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

hey Big D have you got your gear lever sorted, if not i don't live too far away and could give you a hand,drilling, tapping,etc

ChrisC