My 98-VTR-Project Castrol-ish

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Re: My 98-VTR-Project Castrol-ish

Post by mik_str »

Bike looks awesome (as does the swingarm... guess that`s why I`m having mine done the same way, although mine will get the black powdercoat treatment).

I couldn't help but notice from your pic that a slight (and quick) mod to your shift linkage could improve your gear changes. All you need to do is move the lever arm on the splined shaft (coming out of engine) by a few splines, getting the arm as close to a right angle as possible (relative to the adjustable rod) then adjust the length of the rod to get the foot lever back where you want it. By making this change, you are optimising the geometry of the linkage, resulting in shorter throw and lighter action. Just a suggestion.... (freebie mods that work are few and far between but his one does, thought I`d share...)

cheers
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
slot

Re: My 98-VTR-Project Castrol-ish

Post by slot »

mik_str wrote:Bike looks awesome (as does the swingarm... guess that`s why I`m having mine done the same way, although mine will get the black powdercoat treatment).

I couldn't help but notice from your pic that a slight (and quick) mod to your shift linkage could improve your gear changes. All you need to do is move the lever arm on the splined shaft (coming out of engine) by a few splines, getting the arm as close to a right angle as possible (relative to the adjustable rod) then adjust the length of the rod to get the foot lever back where you want it. By making this change, you are optimising the geometry of the linkage, resulting in shorter throw and lighter action. Just a suggestion.... (freebie mods that work are few and far between but his one does, thought I`d share...)

cheers
Hey cheers Mik

I'll check that one out and let you know :wink:
Dave
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13114&p=103847#p103847
1998 VTR1000 Castrol-ish (The CCT's have been changed to protect the innocent) :D
1986 YSR250 Project