Tapping at 2500rpm

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
wazza99

Tapping at 2500rpm

Post by wazza99 »

Still struggling to get used to this Vtwin thing...so another question

As i say i have noticed that when i slow down for a junction etc at around 2500/2000 rpm i get a metallic ticking/ratting. seems to come more so from the left side an to the front. I can't hear it above or below these ranges. I can get it to do it when it's still be holding the throttle at 2500rpm. It seems to happen more as the bike gets warmer?

The Honda dealer reckons it might be the cam chain/tensioners. Says if it happens on slow down it's probably a loose cam cam chain caused be one of the tensioners not working as it should. I have got ot booked in for them changing next week he reckons i should't use it too much until then, to be on the safe side.

Any suggestions/comments???
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

err yeah good luck.

only joking, if they are going to spent time on the bike then get it checked properly and not just plopping in another cct. Get em to take off the cam cover and check the cam chain isn't stretched by lining up the FT marks on the compression stroke and then check that the F-EX and F-IN marks on the cam wheels line up exactly with the face/level of the cylinder head. If not then you need a new cam chain. have to take off the atlernator cover and then the flywheel off the crank and it's in. Don't let em just do the cct because if it is the cam chain then it will get noisy again really quick and then you risk taking chunks out of the head/block and the piston and valves having a kiss, which would not be nice.

Del.
wazza99

Post by wazza99 »

Del, is it common for a new cam chain to be needed at 14,400 miles?
I haven't seen any other posts for this.
Why would it stretch?
Do you think their diagnosis is possibly right? or have you any ideas what it could be?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Oh oh, this is ringing a bell here. I can hear a slight tapping noise on mine on the left hand side as well. I better take it back to the dealer for a check over. I thought I'd get away with this for a long time seeing as the bike has only 1400 miles under it's belt. Mind you, it is 4 years old.
Rich.

delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I don't really know but roger (if I remember) has always suggested changing the cam chains at about 40k, the rear was fine on the vtr I just did. If I was doing it I would check and adjust everything whilst it's in bits as the main labour charge is going to be stripping the bike down to get to things, get the cam chains checked (although there is no specified length for it in the manual it quite obvious, if it's stretched then the valve timing will be out - easy as this is governed by the chain length from the crank. this is assuming the teeth on the crank and cam wheels are ok), valve clearances done and change the cct - get the valve clearances taken to exactly .16 and .31 even if it means changing 1 or 2 shim sizes. The tolerance allows for about, off d top of me head about 10 to 20 shim sizes, change em to spec (bear in mind that most honda dealers don't stock the shims - they will say they do but then when they get em out they find they are bigger than all d other honda shims (diameter) and then you have to wait for em to get them in). Also get the rear checked too whilst in bits. Ask them to check the cct by cranking the engine over by hand (not d starter button) and check that the cam chains do not try and ride up on the cam wheels when turned slowly - this will show up and faulty (even if new) cct.

All this is ok if a normal person was doing it but your gonna get - from the dealer when you start asking them to check stuff this > the look of "we know what we are doing (cos we are wearing honda shirts)", and you can easily piss em off before they even look at your bike by just the suggestion of please do it this way etc.

My local dealer is really helpful when I get my parts and will openly discuss all issues of problems etc.

Hope this helps a little

Del.
wazza99

Update

Post by wazza99 »

Just got bike back from Honda dealers, new cam chain tensioners fitted , no more rattle hurray.
MDJ

Ticking?

Post by MDJ »

How much of a ticking is cause for concern? There is some ticking with mine(1998) but I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid and I'm well skint from just havin bought the bike... Help? :?:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The cam tensioner + gasket 42 quid. From Fowlers Of Bristol
No wrattle is a good wrattle. I could get expensive if you leave it.
Pete.l
MDJ

Thanks pete

Post by MDJ »

Yep you are of course correct, thank you for the pricing info it is reassuringly cheap. I'll get on it I guess....