Front end wash out D204's

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Orange Robbie

Front end wash out D204's

Post by Orange Robbie »

Got a new Storm, but not 04 spec, poss an 03, fitted with 204's.
Still running in + encounted wet weather, very wet weather, bike felt fine at speed, well 70 anyway, but at roundabouts, felt like the front end was going to wash out and ended up picking the bike up mid turn.
Have had this sensation before on the CBR 600, but only when the rear is virtually flat and the front casteled.
Is this a Storm thing ?
Anyone got any comments, coz certainly didn't like the vauge feeling, which remind's me, must get some crash bungs.
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Check tyre pressures,
Chris.
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Don`t feel happy on my 204s in the wet either. Mine have done 5500 miles and need replacing as the back is seriously square and almost slick around the middle. I had oe 207s on my ZX6R and I hated them in the wet as well. I`ll be going for the Bridgestone 010 front/ 020 rear as I`ve done on my last few bikes
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Yeah, check the pressures, and as soon as you can, put some new tyres on.
By the way, StevieVTR - try a BT012 (not the SS) on the front instead of the 010. It's the same compound, but the tread pattern is more like the 020, and it won't scallop (wear unevenly) as much as the 010.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Orange Robbie

Re: Front end wash out D204's

Post by Orange Robbie »

Thanx lads, tyre pressures are fine, or as per info on chain guard at least, suspected the 204's, but wasn't sure.
Next fitments may be Mich Pilot sports, as used on previous machine, but as ex-viffer + stevieVTR suggest may try the bridgestones, press + others seem to rave about them.
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.
BazilD

Post by BazilD »

I felt exactly the same with my new storm Robbie. After throwing my CBR6 around like a clown, when I got on the storm the front felt very dodgey! 8O

It's taken me a while to get used to it, played around with the fork settings, it did not make much difference. I'm about to send the forks off for a Roger tune hopefully that will sort it!

Tyres are prob the main cause, but I do think the forks are to blame too!
BazilD
Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windscreen!
PJ.Shaw

Post by PJ.Shaw »

Robbie,
Hated my 204's - changed them yesterday.
Spent ages on this website seeing what to get and speaking to previous owners at work. This left me totally confused so I went for the tyre that won the "Bike" magazine sports bike tyre test this month - Pirelli Diablo Corsas. £229 for the pair fitted at Watling tyres in Catford, London.
I scrubbed them in yesterday, rode to work in the wet this morning and home in the dry ( the long way ) this evening.
They are EXCELLENT. You get a really comfy ride, they warm up quick and grip in the wet or dry.
Ditch the Dunlops - I've not had trouble with them on previous bikes but they don't seem to suit the Firestorm and they hate road paint wet or dry.
You may see replies to the contrary as I know there are a lot of Dunlop supporters out there but I can only speak as I find.
PJS - "Keep it on the blackstuff"
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Agree totally

Top Tyres , had a good scratch round last night , felt 100% confidant all the time , on the ( admitedly shagged ) Dunlops I'd probably not have enjoyed it as much

Buy 'em now

Stu
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

Fitted Diablos a couple of days ago (not corsas though), as PJ says excellent wet or dry. After a ten minute (wet) ride to work yesterday rear tyre was steaming 8O , never slipped once! Gotta say the OE macadams they've replaced weren't bad at all, very cheap too.
Spitfire

Tyres

Post by Spitfire »

Agree - Pirelli Diablos are gr8!

Don't bother with the Corsas unless you are tracking the bike or are very heavy handed with the bike on it's side - just not worth it. BFM do Diablos for 160 a pair, delivered. See MCN.
MDJ

CRAP

Post by MDJ »

Yes I just got my storm just over a month ago 204's are crap and give the storm front end a bad name. think I'l be going down to watling on payday, oh yes....!!
Reassuring to hear that there will probably be a marked improvement.
PJ.Shaw

Post by PJ.Shaw »

I've had the Pirelli's just over a week now - they are the canine's gonads!
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

:? Enlighten me, why do you bother riding in the wet? I can only see it as a necessity maybe, but where's the fun??
Save yer bike for scratchin' and fit some Michelin Pilot Sport, or better still, race tyres, these really are the nads!
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
PJ.Shaw

Post by PJ.Shaw »

Robin,
I don't have the luxury of owning 2 bikes and I use mine for commuting into Central London every working day as well as "fair weather riding" on days off. I also work shifts - so you see I don't want a tyre that gives great grip in the dry after a 10 mile warm up I want a tyre that gives good grip at 5 am on a cold frosty January morning by the time I've got to the bottom of my road. The Diablo's do this and I'm still very impressed with them - it just depends how long they last; I don't want to be buying a set every month!
Anyway if you only ride when it's not raining and you live in Southport surely you only go out a couple of times a year? :lol:
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

:D Nice one PJ!

Point taken. If you live in Erith, as I did before I moved up here, get yerself down to FWR in Clapham and get a pair of Avon Azaro SP Pro extremes. At £150 a pair they are superb. Tread to the edge and quick warm up and good tyre life, you'll get about 5k out of a rear and more from the front.
I've used tham for racing and rate them for the Storm, but they're not much good on the CBR. Horses for courses.
I haven't used a bike for commuting for a good long while so you have me at a disadvantage, but the point I was making was that Orange said that he was doing about 70 on a wet day. It sounded like he was trying to enjoy being out in the rain, where's the point in THAT!?
If it's wet, slow down and get home and wait for a better day.
Oh yes, crash bungs- don't bother, you'd be far better off with some engine armour. The crash bungs are too far out on a 10mm bolt and they snap as soon as the bike touches down.
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!