A question or two

General Bike chat
DaveTM

A question or two

Post by DaveTM »

I here that the tank range on the VTR can fall to around 60 miles 8O if your a little heavy handed with the throtle :? ..........true :?:

And I've had another report that the brakes arn't too special.

Tell me it aint true :!: :?

Dave
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Do you own, or are you looking? 16 or 19 litre tank?
Mileage is VERY dependant on throttle use, seemingly more than other bikes.
You can get 19km/l (55+ mpg) on a steady cruise. My 2001 with the 19 litre tank will go 290km between fills at average speeds around the 110kmh mark, just Tuesday I did just that in fact. I agree that the range plummets with hard throttle use.
I dont know about just 60miles to a tank, even with the 16litre tank, but suspect that after that much hard throttle use, a break would no doubt be needed anyway.
Remember that the carbs were the biggest ever fitted to a Honda (only beaten by the SP-1 I think) and lots of fuel is the only way to get such incredible low down grunt and response via those big cylinders.

If you're looking, make sure you get a ride. They are a fantastic bike. I've owned lots of different types and this is simply the best I've owned or Ridden (R1, Bandit 1200S, XJ900, GPX750, YZF1000R, RZ350, TRX850)

Cheers
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

When I first got my VTR the red light could come on between 70-80 miles if I had been riding hard ( I bought it with 14k on the clock ). However, once you get used to cramming as much petrol on the tank as is safe ( sitting on the bike while fueling up helps ) you should find you get a bit more out of it.

I filled up on Monday then went out for a long fast run on Monday night, commuted on the bike the last few days and the fuel light came on this morning as 95 miles. I only had to put in 13 litres of fuel so in theory I still had another 21 miles in it. I tested that earlier this year when I ran the tank dry at 117 miles.

I wouldn't worry too much about it but don't try and go too far over 100 miles if you have a pre 2001 bike!

The brakes are fine if well maintained. The problem with a standard bike is not with the brakes but with the forks themselves!

Al.
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Tank range - yes I've been in the low 60miles to a tank BUT only on a trackday....normal use will give anywhere between 90-115 miles.

Brakes - not had a problem myself, using EBC HH pads to good effect.

HTH

Steve
adamski

Post by adamski »

Donington trackday saw me empty in 65 miles, average (fastish) road will see it off in 85-95 miles.

Brakes aren't bad as such the bike does try to push it's front tyre though.

I have ha lots of bikes and find this one a good mix of comfort/speed and fun :D
Yeeeehaa!
I told you they crashed well!
DaveTM

Post by DaveTM »

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm a wanna be VTR owner and yes I will test ride before I buy. Hope to buy a fairly new bike, but much will depend on what's about at the time. Will have a ride first and look to buy end of winter/early spring maybe.........If I'm still thinking on a VTR at the time. It’s been suggested to me that the TL1000 is a better buy, but I'm after the famous Honda build quality and reliability.........Something sadly missing with my Yamaha Fazer :?

Dave
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

I've ridden both the VTR and TLs and to be honest there is nothing between them really. I ride with a guy on a TLs and he never gets away from me, we usually have to stop for fuel at the same time....on track he can't keep with me 8O

The TLs has a more racier riding position and bit more power, The TL has a better gearbox and a smoother engine. The TLs has had a bit off bad press but I've never seen any of the problems 1st hand...if you do go for one tho' , make sure it's been in for all the recalls :?

Out of the two I prefer the VTR as does m8y with his TLs!!!

Steve
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

To DAVE TM in particular. Can I humbly suggest you check out the TL1000 registries : 8O
http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/
the listings of comments and problems make for interesting reading. You can then compare them to the VTR registry as well.
I too have had lust for the TL in the past, but favoured the VTR for my type or riding among other things. :lol:

Cheers all.
Stormcloud
BiZ

Post by BiZ »

I've never gotten less then 100 miles per tank, not counting track days. As far as the brakes are concerned, they're not bad. They might not be the best, but you won't be missing anything.

As far as VTR vs TL is concerned.... Everyone knows that 9 out of 10 woman prefer VTR's.
Sean 'BiZ' Mueller

Team Promotion Blue
NESBA #864 Intermediate

'97 VTR1000F (Franken' bike)
'00 ZX7R (Project bike)
'01 SV650S (Track bike)