Rear wheel spacers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

Rear wheel spacers

Post by bingo808 »

Hi
I think I have a few bits missing from my bike with regards to spacers used in the rear wheel/cush drive.

I took the wheel out to take to a local mechanic in order to get new bearings fitted. That all went fine.

When I look at online diagrams for my 1999 model, I think I'm missing parts 8 (spacer) and part 22 (o-ring)

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya- ... l-11075168

Are these parts critical to the bike?
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
IanB

Re: Rear wheel spacers

Post by IanB »

Looking at the exploded diagram, spacer 8 fits between bearing 18 and bearing 19. if it's not there, tightening the nut on the end of the axle will put a huge axial load on those bearings. They are unlikely to last long, so yes, it looks like the spacer is essential!

Ian
Ian
All of the gear, no idea...
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Yep I would say essential, as 8 is described as COLLAR B, RR. WHEEL DISTANCE in the parts manual, rear wheel must of been nipped up very tight with correct parts fitted bearings should last longer :thumbup:
Storming About :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Spacer "8" in the diagram is a tolerance fit, going into the back of the sprocket carrier/bearing, it cannot drop out on it's own. It has to be removed to renew the sprocket carrier bearing by knocking it out from the front side with a drift. If it's still there, looking at the sprocket carrier bearing very closely from the outside you will see a very thin part of the spacer inside the inner race of the bearing.

The "O" ring ( "22" ) sits in a groove on the wheel hub on the sprocket side, again it should stay in place if not removed manually.

Spacer "7" in the diagram fits between the two wheel bearings, you should check that's there, otherwise when you go to tighten up the wheel spindle you' ll find the wheel won't turn freely if it's missing.

All wheel spacers need to be there!

Chris.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

Many thanks for everyone' reply.

I spoke to the mechanic and he said take it all apart again and send me a picture. He said that they did put that collar back into the bearing.

So I removed the rear wheel and sure enough, the collar was there! Better to be safe than sorry. I just wasn't paying attention.
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.