CCT worries

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

CCT worries

Post by bingo808 »

Hi
Still waiting on a fuel tap rebuild kit so will look at something else.

With my VTR that's done over 112,000km should I be worried about the cam chain tensioners? I've done a bit of reading and if said tensioner busts the cam chain can skip a tooth or two and bend the exhaust valve(s).

Would it be wise for me to fit a set of manual tensioners? Ebay or some other brand?
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
Cptorange

Re: CCT worries

Post by Cptorange »

Yes, change them. Changing the engine is a pita. Most of the ebay ones are OK. You just need to loctite on the threads, and set the chain tension with 5-10mm freeplay, and it will do the job fine.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

it is worth changing the CCT or fitting the stopper mod, then you will have peace of mind.

have a look in the knowledge base section for instructions
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The stopper mod comes for free and the spring can fail but will not damage the engine.By fitting manual cct's you eliminate the problem permanently as long the correct procedure is followed.I have virtually no mechanical knowledge and still managed to fit manuals.It took me longer than a day though,but the satisfaction of doing it myself was great.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN