Ignition switch woes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

Ignition switch woes

Post by bingo808 »

Continuing on getting this thing roadworthy.

I managed to remove the original ignition lock so that I can use the same key for the new fuel tank lid and the ignition switch. Instead of drilling out the old security bolts, I used a hammer and a nail/centre punch to "turn" the top of the bolt to loosen it. If you're patient with it for a minute or two more and use more love taps the bolt then becomes loose and you can use your fingers to remove bolt.

But, now the plug that is on the new switch is different to the old one that I unplugged.

I'm thinking this. Push out the 3 spade connectors in the original harness. Do the same on the new plug/harness. Then change that bullet connector on the new switch to a spade connector. Then insert all 3 spades connectors in the correct order into the old plug.

I'll also use a multimeter to check continuity at different switch positions on the old switch, then make sure that same pins work on the new.

Would this work? Can't see why not.
Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
lloydie

Re: Ignition switch woes

Post by lloydie »

If your old switch works ,just swap them over . Remove the bottom plastic cap and then the 3 mounting screws and remove it . Very easy todo .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:28 am If your old switch works ,just swap them over . Remove the bottom plastic cap and then the 3 mounting screws and remove it . Very easy todo .
A good suggestion that Lloydie :thumbup:

Chris.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

Yes, that would work. But then I'd have to use the old key in the old ignition switch. What I want is one key for the ignition, fuel and seat.

So, I bought one of these from my local auto store - https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca ... 20301.html

And with a bit of wire work with a spade connector here and there I managed to get my new switch plug (male) to mate with the old ignition socket (female).

Hooked it up, then turned the key to ON and... all good! All the idiot lights lit up. Now to attack the seat lock...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

The switch is on the bottom and Is removerble from the barrel .
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

lloydie wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 am The switch is on the bottom and Is removerble from the barrel .
Oh ok. My bad. But the original Honda switch had those stupid anti-theft screws - you know the ones with the little dimple in the middle of the torx screw pattern.

All working now so no biggie.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bingo808 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:35 am
lloydie wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 am The switch is on the bottom and Is removerble from the barrel .
Oh ok. My bad. But the original Honda switch had those stupid anti-theft screws - you know the ones with the little dimple in the middle of the torx screw pattern.

All working now so no biggie.
That is very true. I purchased a set of hex bits very similar to these in the link for those anti-tamper screws. I needed a "hollow Torx bit":
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40253032289 ... Sw~q1foUCa

Chris.