Another Motobloat!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jamiefumi46

Another Motobloat!

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

Afternoon all,

Have a few battery problems...

After a spirited ride, my Storm started to smell of rotten eggs. When I came to a stop, I found a nicely swollen Motobatt. I've replaced it with a Vertex from M&P, just to try and diagnose the fault, but I'm a bit lost.

With the new battery on and the engine revving hard, the reg/rec doesn't allow anything past 14.3V. For info, this is a Tourmax aftermarket reg/rec.

Is it possible that the Motobatt was broken (3 years old and usually attached to an Oxford optimiser)? Or do I need to dig a bit deeper?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

P.s. I realise this has been discussed at length before, but I couldn't find the thread, apologies.
MacV2

Re: Another Motobloat!

Post by MacV2 »

If the battery is overcharging it would normaly mean the R/R is at fault...

The R/R you have is still old tech & proven to fail...

It's more than likley that your new battery will end up going the same way...

If It were me I would replace the R/R check the conenetion block for the R/R for scorched wires.

Replace with a mosfet unit...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

Forgive me, I'm new to electrics. When measuring the voltage across the battery terminals, would I necessarily see the voltage jump past 14.3V at 5k rpm, if there was a short or my reg/rec was toast? Or is the problem likely to be a bit more intermittent?

The reason I ask, is because the multimeter appears to be telling me the reg/rec is doing it's job, so I wonder if the problem is elsewhere.

Ta!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:07 pm Forgive me, I'm new to electrics. When measuring the voltage across the battery terminals, would I necessarily see the voltage jump past 14.3V at 5k rpm, if there was a short or my reg/rec was toast? Or is the problem likely to be a bit more intermittent?

The reason I ask, is because the multimeter appears to be telling me the reg/rec is doing it's job, so I wonder if the problem is elsewhere.

Ta!
That voltage at the battery at 5,000rpms seems about right to me. What's it like at tick over at the battery terminals :?:

I agree with Mac on the MOSFET regulator/rectifier. As a long term investment well worth having. Also as Mac mentions, worth checking the terminal block connections at the rectifier and the terminal block in that opaque cover in front of the battery. It's the one with the 3 yellow wires from the alternator going into it, for burn/scorch marks.

Chris.
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

I think you may actually be right. Just found this video:

To save you watching it, bascially, the geezer has the same problem as me, but on a ZZR600, by the looks of it.

It's not until riding the bike and getting a bit of heat into the reg/rec that it starts to cause problems.

Looks like Wemoto have a Mosfet one that fits a 98 Storm.

Let's see what happens!

Thanks again!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 pm I think you may actually be right. Just found this video:

To save you watching it, bascially, the geezer has the same problem as me, but on a ZZR600, by the looks of it.

It's not until riding the bike and getting a bit of heat into the reg/rec that it starts to cause problems.

Let's see what happens!

Thanks again!
Whatever you do check those block terminal connectors that I covered in my previous post,

Chris.
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

Ok, will do. If they're scorched, is that a case of chopping off the bad stuff and soldering on some fresh connectors?
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:23 pm
Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:07 pm I think you may actually be right. Just found this video:

Let's see what happens!

Thanks again!
Whatever you do check those block terminal connectors that I covered in my previous post,

Chris.
Also, am I right in thinking an Sh691aa MOSFET r/r, off a CBR 125, will work as a straight swap? They seem to be a 3rd of the price from a breaker...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes the cb125 one will do the job.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pm

Let's see what happens!

Thanks again!

Chris.
Also, am I right in thinking an Sh691aa MOSFET r/r, off a CBR 125, will work as a straight swap? They seem to be a 3rd of the price from a breaker...
It will be a straight swap but it will not be a Mosfet clue is in the part number Starting SH... Mosfet R/R part number start with FH... Easy ID is the Mosfet will have two plugs... & is much bigger...
Joe mf 1.jpg
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:55 am
Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pm

Chris.
It will be a straight swap but it will not be a Mosfet clue is in the part number Starting SH... Mosfet R/R part number start with FH... Easy ID is the Mosfet will have two plugs... & is much bigger...

Joe mf 1.jpg
Ahhh, I see. I was confused because the wemoto listing looks like an identical part to the CBR 125 R/R and mentions MOSFET (https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vtr1 ... _rectifier). I suspect they're subtly different? To be honest, if the CBR R/R is considered a more reliable upgrade, that's fine by me. I'm planning to sell this Storm and get a slightly sexier one, in the coming weeks, but I want to make sure this one is safe and reliable before I pass it on.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:31 pm Ok, will do. If they're scorched, is that a case of chopping off the bad stuff and soldering on some fresh connectors?
Take a look first and see what they are like.

Here's what you need to be looking for sitting in that opaque sheath that sits behind the fuel tank in front of the battery. It's the terminal block connector with the three yellow wires from the alternator going into it.

Here's a few photo's of what mine was like a few years ago. You can see in the photo's the burn marks on both the terminal block and the yellow wires:
Alternator-terminal-block-c.jpg
Alternator-term-connector.jpg
Alternator-burnt-terminal-c.jpg
Chris.
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:53 pm
Jamiefumi46 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:31 pm Ok, will do. If they're scorched, is that a case of chopping off the bad stuff and soldering on some fresh connectors?

Here's what you need to be looking for sitting in that opaque sheath that sits behind the fuel tank in front of the battery. It's the terminal block connector with the three yellow wires from the alternator going into it.

Here's a few photo's of what mine was like a few years ago. You can see in the photo's the burn marks on both the terminal block and the yellow wires:

Chris.
Ohhh dear, that connector block looks like Dot Cotton's fingernails. I'll see how mine look a bit later. Many thanks for that!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamiefumi46 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:34 pm
sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:53 pm

Chris.
Ohhh dear, that connector block looks like Dot Cotton's fingernails. I'll see how mine look a bit later. Many thanks for that!
:lol: :thumbup:

Chris.
Jamiefumi46

Post by Jamiefumi46 »

Just one more thing...

I've plonked the reg/rec from a CBR125 on. Now the max voltage at 5000rpm is 13.3v. Also, the reg/rec is getting quite hot after 5 mins of idle, when stationary. Does that all sound normal?

Thanks again!

P.s no signs of scorching under the sheath or the previous reg/rec and associated wiring.