Everything there under the fuel tank?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bingo808

Everything there under the fuel tank?

Post by bingo808 »

Hi
Getting a new tyre tomorrow. Will be hacking at the fuel tank lid when I get the bigger drill bits.

But, for now I want to take the tank off to check/replace the air filter. I order a K&N filter of Amazon and it arrived in the mail eariler in the week.

Some snapshots from under the tank. To remove tank ok to remove all hoses at once? Is the main part with all the hoses connected some sort of vacuum switch? There seems to be one hose missing from the bottom.

Someone put it together, so I should be able to pull it apart.
MacV2

Re: Everything there under the fuel tank?

Post by MacV2 »

Z VTR1000f undertank pipe location..jpg
As in pic's the two to the left Are a breather & overflow... Just check to see if the missing one hasn't just dropped down, both run to the left side of the bike & drop down near the front left of the engine by the little fairing.
Z Petcock pipe fekup reminder....jpg
The petcock is vaccume opperated & fule should only flow when the engine is running, the pipe runs from the rear cylinder block to the rear of the petcock & MUST be fitted to the spigot pionting sideways 9o/c when veiwed from rear.
Sometimes there will be a T peice spliced into the vac pipe this will either be for carb balancing attachment or a Scotoiler... It should be capped off if its for balancing...

You might get some fule out of the fule pipes when you remove them thats normal & nothing to worry about...unless your smoking or the engine is hot :lol:

If the petrol keeps running out of the petcock then thats feked as it shoudn't...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bingo808 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 am Hi
Getting a new tyre tomorrow. Will be hacking at the fuel tank lid when I get the bigger drill bits.

But, for now I want to take the tank off to check/replace the air filter. I order a K&N filter of Amazon and it arrived in the mail eariler in the week.

Some snapshots from under the tank. To remove tank ok to remove all hoses at once? Is the main part with all the hoses connected some sort of vacuum switch? There seems to be one hose missing from the bottom.

I'm not sure how much searching you have done on here about using a K&N air filter? So what I will point out is, these bikes are quite susceptible to changes in air flow, and it is a well known fact the carbs will need a reasonable amount of tuning to get a K&N air filter to work without any flat spots.

Chris.

PS. It looks like in the photo's you are missing the spring clips on the fuel lines, those are the two thicker hoses that attach to the fuel tap on the left and right sides of it.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 am I'm not sure how much searching you have done on here about using a K&N air filter? So what I will point out is, these bikes are quite susceptible to changes in air flow, and it is a well known fact the carbs will need a reasonable amount of tuning to get a K&N air filter to work without any flat spots.

Chris.

PS. It looks like in the photo's you are missing the spring clips on the fuel lines, those are the two thicker hoses that attach to the fuel tap on the left and right sides of it.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that - about tuning the carbs to suit. I may be best to return it for a refund if it will present problems. (Haven't opened it.) I guess I'm thinking of fuel injection (like I have in my car) to make up for the extra air flow.

Yes, I see what you are referring to. Is anything meant to go on that "spare" connector that has no hose?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bingo808 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:52 am
sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 am I'm not sure how much searching you have done on here about using a K&N air filter? So what I will point out is, these bikes are quite susceptible to changes in air flow, and it is a well known fact the carbs will need a reasonable amount of tuning to get a K&N air filter to work without any flat spots.

Chris.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that - about tuning the carbs to suit. I may be best to return it for a refund if it will present problems. (Haven't opened it.) I guess I'm thinking of fuel injection (like I have in my car) to make up for the extra air flow.

Yes, I see what you are referring to. Is anything meant to go on that "spare" connector that has no hose?
You are correct as in, no hose is meant to go on that outlet facing the floor.

Regarding your K&N air filter, swapping it for a standard OEM Honda item would be a good idea unless you enjoy pulling the carbs apart and swapping jets etc and possibly dyno time in getting the K&N to work properly. I can see your way of thinking regarding a car with fuel injection (or a bike with fuel injection for that matter), as a chip swap would most likely be all you would need to get the K&N air filter to work without a flat spot,

Chris.
bingo808

Post by bingo808 »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:28 pm [You are correct as in, no hose is meant to go on that outlet facing the floor.

Regarding your K&N air filter, swapping it for a standard OEM Honda item would be a good idea unless you enjoy pulling the carbs apart and swapping jets etc and possibly dyno time in getting the K&N to work properly. I can see your way of thinking regarding a car with fuel injection (or a bike with fuel injection for that matter), as a chip swap would most likely be all you would need to get the K&N air filter to work without a flat spot,

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I have returned the K&N filter to Amazon and awaiting a refund of around AUD$140.

I'll get a paper filter and be normal like everyone else! :D :D :D

I also got a new front tyre fitted today as well - Bridgestone Road Smart 3 for AUD$188 fitted and balanced.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bingo808 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:21 am
sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:28 pm [You are correct as in, no hose is meant to go on that outlet facing the floor.

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I have returned the K&N filter to Amazon and awaiting a refund of around AUD$140.

I'll get a paper filter and be normal like everyone else! :D :D :D

I also got a new front tyre fitted today as well - Bridgestone Road Smart 3 for AUD$188 fitted and balanced.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Well at least you know the standard Honda air filter isn't going to give you any problems,

Chris.