Race bodywork alternative

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Cptorange

Race bodywork alternative

Post by Cptorange »

Hey folks, building my storm up, and at the stage where I need bodywork.
What bodywork can be made to fit without too much hair pulling? I was gonna go std, but prices seem too high for grp stuff.
I only have half a rear subframe so was thinking that something thin like an rs250 seat unit may fit??
StuartWags

Re: Race bodywork alternative

Post by StuartWags »

I used a standard faring, seat unit and seat cowl. Both were skip materials to be honest, crashed and lugs missing. Stuck the bits back together using Kemdent Simplex Rapid Liquid and Powder (http://www.kemdent.co.uk/.. yes for making dentures). It's the same stuff as Plastex but works out a lot cheaper, Plastex have plenty of tutorials as well. I have repaired loads of plastic with it. Good stuff

I cut some cardboard up to build a void behind the headlight and tail light. Filled the with with builders expanding polystyrene foam. Carved it out so a layer of filler could be applied.

I used an aftermarket undertray but that was because i had one, not essential. Similarly, with a full belly pan (sharskinz).

Good enough for the track, didnt look too bad
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Stuart, do you use the hi, or standard powder?
Cptorange

Post by Cptorange »

Good stuff Stuart. Skidmarx removed don't have the moulds anymore, but didn't want to pay £200 anyway :) Will look into getting some scrapper fairings.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cptorange wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:47 pm Good stuff Stuart. Skidmarx removed don't have the moulds anymore, but didn't want to pay £200 anyway :) Will look into getting some scrapper fairings.
On back order, but..................

https://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/hond ... lypan.html

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Flatline wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:24 am Stuart, do you use the hi, or standard powder?
I know I'm not Stuart :) although this is from Stuart a while back if it's any help:

viewtopic.php?p=476329#p476329

Chris.
Cptorange

Post by Cptorange »

Don't think you'll get them from MSR chris, they get them from Skidmarx
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Thanks for digging that out Sirch. I had been using Plastex for years and paying there silly prices. I had forgot it was Wicky who pointed me in the direction of kemdent
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

StuartWags wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:34 am Thanks for digging that out Sirch. I had been using Plastex for years and paying there silly prices. I had forgot it was Wicky who pointed me in the direction of kemdent
:thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cptorange wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 pm Don't think you'll get them from MSR chris, they get them from Skidmarx
Taken from the Ebay link below:
We are based in Dorset and have just taken over the GRP side of a well known u/k based motorcycle bodywork company, Our range covers many makes of motorcycle
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324703448881 ... Sw4GVYJgFr

Either that or keep an eye out on Ebay, as they do come up now and again if you're not in too much of a hurry,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Cptorange wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:18 am Hey folks, building my storm up, and at the stage where I need bodywork.
What bodywork can be made to fit without too much hair pulling? I was gonna go std, but prices seem too high for grp stuff.
I only have half a rear subframe so was thinking that something thin like an rs250 seat unit may fit??

i tried to send you a pm about the flywheel thing but, it wont let me send it to you :eek2 .

drop me a wee txt if you fancy one, here ya go..0-7-9-0-3-3-9-5-6-3-1

:thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: