Tyre pressure and temp sensor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Tyre pressure and temp sensor

Post by tony.mon »

PXL_20210620_172401113.jpg
I bought one of these for pennies- about £24- mainly because I needed to replace the usb port.
My Quadlock usb port isn't waterproof, that's what you get for being an early adopter. A few days after I fitted my usb port they announced a contactless one.

This has a voltage display as well, and us made for motorbikes and is claimed to be waterproof. Let's see how long it lasts...

The tyre sensors weigh a bit, I'm tempted to get the front at least rebalanced with it fitted.

And yes, I know the tyres need pumping up a bit!
Attachments
PXL_20210620_172422884.jpg
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Re: Tyre pressure and temp sensor

Post by MacV2 »

Isn't a bit hard to read being sideways...?

:lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:13 pm Isn't a bit hard to read being sideways...?

:lol: :lol:
:lol: :thumbup:

Is this a bit better for you Mac :lol:
Tony-Mon-(1)Rota.jpg
Tony-Mon's-tyre-pressure-ga.jpg
It looks the part Tony :thumbup:

Where does the tyre air pressure sensors fit, inside the wheel or on the valve :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

On the valve.
They have a button cell but only send via low intensity Bluetooth when there is movement, so hopefully will last a while.

Thanks for turning the pics, I forgot to turn the phone sideways when taking pics for the forum.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's odd, are we back to double posting again?
It's happened twice today.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I've been using these across three bikes over the past few years and they work really well at catching an imminently flat tyre well before you feel anything amiss. Batteries last 1-2 years generally, but can be a little challenging to locate.

My only small gripe is the weight of the transmitter valve caps, if your rubber valve stem is old and bit more rigid (cue sniggers from the back of the class) then all is well, but I had some stems replaced with fresher, more flexible ones and the weight of the cap caused the stem to bend over, at one point I thought I saw a crack forming in the rubber but that turned out to be paranoia. To put my mind at rest I now have 90 degree alloy valve stems installed.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, I also have the alloy 90 degree ones fitted.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 pm On the valve.
They have a button cell but only send via low intensity Bluetooth when there is movement, so hopefully will last a while.
I'm guessing that means the sensor screws down on the top of the valve pressing on the pin to open the Schrader valve :?:
tony.mon wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 pm Thanks for turning the pics, I forgot to turn the phone sideways when taking pics for the forum.
No problem :thumbup: At least you know what you need to do to get them the right way up :lol:
Cadbury64 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 am I've been using these across three bikes over the past few years and they work really well at catching an imminently flat tyre well before you feel anything amiss. Batteries last 1-2 years generally, but can be a little challenging to locate.

My only small gripe is the weight of the transmitter valve caps, if your rubber valve stem is old and bit more rigid (cue sniggers from the back of the class) then all is well, but I had some stems replaced with fresher, more flexible ones and the weight of the cap caused the stem to bend over, at one point I thought I saw a crack forming in the rubber but that turned out to be paranoia. To put my mind at rest I now have 90 degree alloy valve stems installed.
That would have been my next question, but you're one step ahead of me :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You're right, the pin opens the schrader valve slightly, allowing the sensors to sample the air temp and pressure.
Last edited by tony.mon on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:53 pm
I'm guessing that means the sensor screws down on the top of the valve pressing on the pin to open the Schrader valve :?:

Chris.
The sensors have some sort of motion detection in them; they (and the head unit display) go dormant when the bike is stationary, but you can usually wake them by spinning a wheel (or rolling the bike). That may be the only downside to using them with 90 degree stems as I think the motion detection is less sensitive when the caps are on their sides, but they still work OK.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 pm You're right, the pin opens the schrader valve slightly, allowing the sensors to same air temp and pressure.
:thumbup:
Cadbury64 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 pm
sirch345 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Chris.
The sensors have some sort of motion detection in them; they (and the head unit display) go dormant when the bike is stationary, but you can usually wake them by spinning a wheel (or rolling the bike). That may be the only downside to using them with 90 degree stems as I think the motion detection is less sensitive when the caps are on their sides, but they still work OK.
Thanks for the detailed information :thumbup:

Chris.