03 honda vtr 1000 clutch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Nook6

03 honda vtr 1000 clutch

Post by Nook6 »

Hi all
i have a vtr 1000 it had been sitting a couple of years got it all going again, but the clutch is only just biting.
I cleaned the clutch plates and changed the fluid in the clutch and bled the clutch system.

the lever feels like the clutch is working when i pull the lever the clutch plates go loose and tighten when i let out the lever. if i rev it up in gear it does move forward but very very slowly (probably less than 1mph).

when i pull the clutch in and put it in gear it sounds and feels like it all goes into gear ok.

Any hints or suggestions greatly appreciated
thank you

Nook6
tony.mon

Re: 03 honda vtr 1000 clutch

Post by tony.mon »

The outermost friction plate needs to be engaged in the slots available for the tangs.
The clutch pushrod needs to be fully engaged in the centre hole of the top hat bearing carrier in the clutch centre.
And the clutch cover has a spacer that fits between the cover and the crankcase- if that's missing it might cause this. Failing those, check you have the right number of clutch friction plates and steels fitted.

Where are you?
I have spare clutches.

Oh, one other thing, it's possible that fitting the wrong lever could have this effect, try removing the lever to see if it fully engaged then

The good news is that it's not a fluid/bleeding problem, as that gives the reverse effects- engages, but won't fully disengage.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Nook6

Re: 03 honda vtr 1000 clutch

Post by Nook6 »

Ty very much sorted it now it was me being a fool

When I took clutch plates out to wipe them over I put them down in a pile then promptly put them in backwards . Turned them all round now working fine.

Nook6

Ps I’m in Norfolk uk