E5 E10- Fuil

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bertye

E5 E10- Fuil

Post by bertye »

There has been quit a lot of info regarding the introduction of E10 Petrol coming in soon. Just thought I would add my input which was posted on a VFR forum. As most know E10 it not good for older bikes, and in particular, older carb engines. Esso have released "Synergy Supreme+ 99" which is ethanol free in most of the UK. The link does have the exceptions. https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol
8541Hawk

Re: E5 E10- Fuil

Post by 8541Hawk »

To give a little different experience with E5 &E10 fuels.

In the US we have had it for quite some time now (was actually started in '75 but was pushed and became wide spread in 2005 through 2007) and have had no issues with these bikes.
Well that is not 100% true on reflection. For some reason I did start having issues with rubber vacuum caps failing about 5 yrs ago.
Every few months the caps on the sync lines wold crack. Can't say if the fuel or the caps changed but the bike didn't run any differently.
Switched to the vinyl caps and the issue went away.

Also back when I was allowed on the US forum, there were no reports of E fuels causing any issues with these bikes.
So while there might be some issues here and there, it's not the end of bikes with carbs :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I see they are still not supplying ethanol free petrol in my area :thumbdown:
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.
Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:44 pm To give a little different experience with E5 &E10 fuels.

In the US we have had it for quite some time now (was actually started in '75 but was pushed and became wide spread in 2005 through 2007) and have had no issues with these bikes.
Well that is not 100% true on reflection. For some reason I did start having issues with rubber vacuum caps failing about 5 yrs ago.
Every few months the caps on the sync lines wold crack. Can't say if the fuel or the caps changed but the bike didn't run any differently.
Switched to the vinyl caps and the issue went away.

Also back when I was allowed on the US forum, there were no reports of E fuels causing any issues with these bikes.
So while there might be some issues here and there, it's not the end of bikes with carbs :thumbup:
So it may not be as bad for the Firestorm/Superhawk as we're fearing, here's to that being the case.

Chris.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

So are the new fuels with or without ethanol? Why would they cause the rubber to breakdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them