Strange coolant leakage

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
hexdec

Strange coolant leakage

Post by hexdec »

Hello everyone, i am facing a strange issue, my vtr leaks coolant (2-3 drops of coolant) when it starts from cold. If a ride the bike for a while the leakage stops. I went to my mechanic and he told me that the screw from the pipe which tranfers coolant to the carbs was loose and he fixed it. However the problem exists (Maybe the leak is smaller) but it still exists.

Any ideas?

Στάλθηκε από το MI 8 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Strange coolant leakage

Post by sirch345 »

The leak could be from the water pump mechanical seal. However you really need to locate where it's coming from as it could just be one of the hose joints as your mechanic thought.

Some of the Firestorms/Superhawks have a hose from the outlet spout on the water pump mechanical seal housing which tucks down the lefthand side of the bike in behind the nose cone fairing with other rubber hoses. Other don't have this drain off hose, they only have a spigot on the water pump seal housing. Mine is a 1999 model and does have a drain off hose. I think it was the earlier ones they didn't have the hose, just the spigot, but not 100% on that,

Chris.
hexdec

Post by hexdec »

Mine is a 98 model, i dint think is the water pump since the bike had a complete service just 2 weeks ago and i requested for a complete check of every possible cause of problems and i trust my mechanic, i now him for years.
I will check the coolant hose for the front cylinder. However, up until now the engine temps are normal

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Early bikes didn't have a spigot just a hole...

Just go round all the hoses & make sure all the clips are tight.

Or you may have a pin hole in a hose which closes when the pipe expands when hot.

You really need to locte the source of the drip with a full inspection when its cold...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The most frequent source is the short coolant hose behind the front head, leading to the thermostat housing. To access it, pull the tank off, airbox off and you can see it near the front cct.
Just tighten both clamps.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

^ this, or mine also did exactly the same for a while and it was one of the radiator hoses. I tightened it but it still leaked on a cold start-up, then I realised that I'd tightened it too much and ovalled the stub on the (quite soft) radiator :/ New hoses were the remedy (and a new RH rad)...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:20 pm Early bikes didn't have a spigot just a hole...
:oops: my mistake. Cheers Mac for correcting that :thumbup:

Chris.
hexdec

Post by hexdec »

After a closer inspection, the leak seems to originate from the small plastic container used for the engine water when the motor is running. I went on a 160 Km trip yesterday and although it leaked at start when the engine was cold, when i finished my ride there was plenty of coolant in the box. Therefore i think that as the engine heats up the crack closes due to expansion.
The next question is where i can find this box new. The local dealer asked 50 euros for it

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

hexdec wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:11 am After a closer inspection, the leak seems to originate from the small plastic container used for the engine water when the motor is running. I went on a 160 Km trip yesterday and although it leaked at start when the engine was cold, when i finished my ride there was plenty of coolant in the box. Therefore i think that as the engine heats up the crack closes due to expansion.
The next question is where i can find this box new. The local dealer asked 50 euros for it

CMS is the european disributor for Honda parts so is your best bet if you want new...

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/tank-rad ... 101mbb000/

37 Euros but they do like a lot of postage costs... Chances are that where your local dealer is getting it from & after his cost is adding a bit on top to make a proffit...Kids to feed & all that.

So check postage cost & compare.

There are plenty of used ones about I've got 4 or 5 of the buggers in the shed. I'd sell you one for £5 + shipping.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

If it is the "COOLANT EXPANSION TANK" Ebay would be a good place to look, new from Honda is not badly priced at £43 plus vat and delivery
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 00/2/11521
Storming About :thumbup:
hexdec

Post by hexdec »

Yes its the coolant expansion tank