Question on swing arm removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Carlosfandango

Question on swing arm removal

Post by Carlosfandango »

Morning

Quick question on the removal of the swing arm to regrease, how on earth do you hold the bike up? I have an ABBA stand but obviously cannot use the swing arm nuts to support the bike, I tried to use the rear engine bolt where it attaches to the frame, that wont work. ABBA do supply a kit to remove the swing arm, but that relies on a bolt though the foot pegs, which in the Firestorms case they are attached to the swinging arm, aah.

apart from hanging the whole bike from the garage roof I am a bit stuck - Haynes manual is not very helpfull is this respect. i have searched this forum but not yet found a solution

Any ideas, how have the rest of you done this? pictures may help me!

this was my Christmas lockdown project, I'm now scratching my head how to do it

Thanks

Carlos
Jamoi

Re: Question on swing arm removal

Post by Jamoi »

Hi Carlos,

It has been a while since I worked on a storm but iirc you can use your abba stand on the engine mounts with the addition of a correctly sized socket on one end. Allowing you to remove the swingarm with ease.

Or as you've mentioned, ratchet strap the rear up to the garage roof assuming the timbers are strong enough (you could brace across 2 or 3 rafters if you're worried).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

like Jamoi said. I use the abba stand on the engine mounting bolts, a 17mm socket with a section of jubilee clip round it was my solution to the required spacer, but you will be able to work something out based on what you have lying round the shed.. you need to also have a couple of blocks of wood under the ABBA stand to get the wheels off the ground, but it works well.
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stepladder or garage roof joists to suspend the bike by the subframe

More creative ways to suspend a bike

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

How far did you sling your Stormy in that trebuchet Wicky??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jamie :wave:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Carlos, do you have roof joist in the garage ?

This is how I've been doing it...

Put the bike on a padock stand.

Use whatever straps, chains or rope your using.

I use some inch wide ratchet straps pass over the joist & pass through the seat hook loops. I position the straps wide so angle in toward the bike.

Get some tension in the straps but not tight or lifting the bike off the stand. ( I've learnt from my mistooks, first time I did this, I cranked up the straps lifting the bike off the stand, when it came to the end of the job...It was a bit sketchy hahahaha. As you pop the tension off one strap...One widely swinging Storm... 8O)

Crack all the nut's bolts that you want to remove, take the rear wheel out...

Then remove the paddock stand...carefully as the bike is going to drop a bit taking up any slack.

Do what you want to do.

Leave any torquing up for now.

Put the padock stand back in place as it lifts the bike it will put that slack back in the straps.

Torque up all the torque requiring fixings.

If you don't have rafters you can use a large step ladder as an A frame, use a large bit of timber or a scafold pole as the cross member.

Good luck.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Carlosfandango

Post by Carlosfandango »

Sorted thanks for the advice, 17 mm socket on the right, works a treat
Attachments
35A6237D-FE81-4C97-B392-F9345E2DAEEE.jpeg
75AA1394-1CB0-4CBC-B17A-D6ECC7F61B15.jpeg