Engine tuning

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DJWALKER

Engine tuning

Post by DJWALKER »

Hi I've looked through the forum but I cant find an answer, who tunes vtrs I would like to gain around 20bhp. Am realy after torque and midrange power any ideas of who and what's the best approach?.
Many thanks
Dickiebig

Re: Engine tuning

Post by Dickiebig »

Roger Ditchfield is your man. His details are on the forum. You will be spending quite serious money to do this and as you well know this can impair the reliability. It could be and easier and probably cheaper option to buy an SP they make about what your looking for if not a bit more. Now starting to be collectable so not only do you get the extra ummmp but you have an appreciating asset. Unfortunately you can pour alot of money into a standard VTR and it is still basically a standard VTR but modified and you know how people react to that. " You got the standard bits then guv' or"

Only my 2d worth

Richard
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Roger Ditchfield is your man. His details are on the forum. You will be spending quite serious money to do this and as you well know this can impair the reliability. It could be and easier and probably cheaper option to buy an SP they make about what your looking for if not a bit more. Now starting to be collectable so not only do you get the extra ummmp but you have an appreciating asset. Unfortunately you can pour alot of money into a standard VTR and it is still basically a standard VTR but modified and you know how people react to that. " You got the standard bits then guv' or"

Only my 2d worth

Richard
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Oooops double there yah go galloping senitily. But I am not the first by any means
DJWALKER

Post by DJWALKER »

Thanks for the info , I prefer the vtr to the sp to be honest any idea on the gains from a dyno kit ? Or perhaps just dropping a tooth on the front sprocket I dong want top end it more mid grunt I want .thanks again.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Getting the results you want will require playing with the engine internals. In the "quick, easy and cheap" category, replacing the front velocity stack with a long one (as rear cylinder) will improve the low-end and mids, modding the airbox (opening up the snorkel or, better yet, incorporating the filter in the lid) will help the mill breathe (though require re-jetting), and finally, lightening up the flywheel will speed up response.

Going beyond that will require opening up the engine, and your wallet...

P.S. I am assuming you already have slip-ons...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For a fairly easy 15- 20 bhp gain, high comp pistons, cams (if you can find some) and a free flowing air filter and cans will do it.

But you might be better off lightening your bike first, lithium battery, carbon and Titanium bits will improve responsiveness.
Getting the forks sorted, or fitting a blade USD front end and decent shock is also worth doing before you get into the engine
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Like Tony says, that sort of increase is easy enough and reliability is fine, says the man with a broken bike :lol: . Your biggest problem will be finding suitable cams. You'll probably be better off looking at getting your stock ones a regrind. Kent cams might be worth talking to too.
DJWALKER

Post by DJWALKER »

Again many thanks for the input , am starting to think it's not an easy engine to tune ? Maybe I will try dropping a tooth on the front sprocket.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"am starting to think it's not an easy engine to tune ?"

Yes the VTR V2 isn't as amenable as an IL4 to plug'n'play cheap tuning mods. Apart from lightened flywheel for a different feel.

You can throw in a freer flowing airfilter and cans, dynojet kit and few dyno runs to fine tune it to get approx 5 top end horses.

As Tony suggests - lose weight from the bike and sort handling out i.e rogered forks and aftermarket shock should get you from A to B along twisties at a good rate of knots.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

DJWALKER wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:53 pm Again many thanks for the input , am starting to think it's not an easy engine to tune ? Maybe I will try dropping a tooth on the front sprocket.
tune the engine,,,,,,loads of money.

simple way, decent cans, stay AWAY from the airbox. one tooth down on the front and a lightened flywheel.. for road use with that lot if the clocks dont hit you in the face in the first two gears your bikes not running right :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
DJWALKER

Post by DJWALKER »

Many thanks for the feedback lads and big thanks for cluing me up about Roger. Needles to say I have spoken to Roger and will be sending my engine to him soon for a full rebuild and tune 😁😁, I will update on this when I can. Oh and have others have said, what a nice chap he is.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

DJWALKER wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:40 pm Many thanks for the feedback lads and big thanks for cluing me up about Roger. Needles to say I have spoken to Roger and will be sending my engine to him soon for a full rebuild and tune 😁😁, I will update on this when I can. Oh and have others have said, what a nice chap he is.
Nice one. You're going to love it.
DJWALKER

Post by DJWALKER »

Well to update my engine is now on its way to Roger ditchfield for a full rebuild and tune cant wait for its return but it will be a wee while. On another note my 200mm black widow cans and link pipes are not needed as I am getting new ones these are almost new pm if interested .
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

DJWALKER wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:44 pm Well to update my engine is now on its way to Roger ditchfield for a full rebuild and tune cant wait for its return but it will be a wee while. On another note my 200mm black widow cans and link pipes are not needed as I am getting new ones these are almost new pm if interested .
let us know what it feels like when its back :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: