Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

Do you like the way the valves are opened and closed regardless of how many valve clearances you have to do :?: :lol:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:56 pm Do you like the way the valves are opened and closed regardless of how many valve clearances you have to do :?: :lol:

Chris.
I like the Desmo valves... engineering elegance... I note the new Monster has conventional valve gear... the Ducati guys are up in arms :lol: :lol: :lol: they have dropped the Desmo and Trellis frame on the new model. The purists are horrified :lol: You cant have Desm and cheap servicing though...

Build-up of the engine commences… The tool for holding the flywheel is essential. This one is home made, but they are cheap anyway. When people say wedge a penny in the gears I cringe!

One important thing to remember is there is one special bolt in the cases that acts as an oil feed to the LH case. This needs to go in a certain hole!

The bottle of oil is strategically placed... I am so ashamed of the welding on that engine frame! :oops:

I had a little help bead blasting the other day! :thumbup:

MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

buzzer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 am When people say wedge a penny in the gears I cringe!
Did that quite some times in the past. A piece of cloth is often enough to block a gear pair.
The downside is that you could rip both of them through that "mill", if the torque is high enough which puts a lot of load in your bearings/shafts. Don't ask why I know and where these perforated rags in my garage come from....

Meanwhile I do have a cheap, easy and secure method.
Usually you have a spare engine and if you have one gear that'd engage in both other gears, it acts as a perfect lock. If the engine lacks design space, you could cut down the 3'rd gear to a half or smaller piece, just that's it's big enough to engage with the others.
Saves you building individual lock tools all the time...
Bye
Martin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MK_WF wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:20 pm Meanwhile I do have a cheap, easy and secure method.
Usually you have a spare engine and if you have one gear that'd engage in both other gears, it acts as a perfect lock. If the engine lacks design space, you could cut down the 3'rd gear to a half or smaller piece, just that's it's big enough to engage with the others.
Saves you building individual lock tools all the time...
Funnily enough I was planning to do this to lock the crankshaft in place when I service the Tuono in a week or so, but of course you would need two sections of gear to stop it rotating in both directions. I plan to cut an old gear in half and make up a bracket to fit them on both sides of the primary drive pair.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:22 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:56 pm Do you like the way the valves are opened and closed regardless of how many valve clearances you have to do :?: :lol:

Chris.
I like the Desmo valves... engineering elegance... I note the new Monster has conventional valve gear... the Ducati guys are up in arms :lol: :lol: :lol: they have dropped the Desmo and Trellis frame on the new model. The purists are horrified :lol: You cant have Desm and cheap servicing though...

Build-up of the engine commences… The tool for holding the flywheel is essential. This one is home made, but they are cheap anyway. When people say wedge a penny in the gears I cringe!

One important thing to remember is there is one special bolt in the cases that acts as an oil feed to the LH case. This needs to go in a certain hole!

The bottle of oil is strategically placed... I am so ashamed of the welding on that engine frame! :oops:

I had a little help bead blasting the other day! :thumbup:

I did read recently about the Monster having conventional valve gear, but I didn't realise they'd done away with the Trellis frame on that model 8O
I bet the purists are up in arms :)

I don't like the idea of wedging gears with a penny or a rag, especially when some of those flywheel bolts have such a high torque value, but I know it happens.

Interesting to hear about the special bolt that acts as an oil feed 8O

I like the way you're bringing on your little helper :D

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

There is something satisfying about doing the hydraulics. I pulled everything apart and gave it all a good clean, bead blasted everything and put it all back together with a smear of rubber brake grease and brake fluid. I didn’t replace any of the rubbers on this build, all seems to be in nice condition, so they just got a quick wash in methylated spirits.

Last update for a few days... I will be 66 tomorrow... a Pensioner! :mrgreen: Another milestone reached! My wife is treating me to a few days away and we have family things planned!

gilson

Post by gilson »

Happy birthday for tomorrow buzzer!

Last edited by gilson on Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Buzzer.

Good to see the Update :thumbup:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Happy birthday Buzzer :beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Happy birthday Tony.Have a great day. :beer:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

thanks for the birthday wishes!

I took a good look at the forks, and while the sliders were perfect, the anodizing on the legs was past its best. I popped them in the lathe and used some 240 paper to remove the anodising, then followed it up with some 800, and then a polish. they came up a treat! I did consider re-anodizing them but there is so much to polish anyway! I fitted a couple of new seals, and some new oil. all in all not a difficult job!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

They look great 8)
The lathe must have been a big help in getting that finish,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Started the rebuild of the engine… a tip I picked up years ago is its sometimes best to pop the piston in the bore with a ring clamp from the top, and then push it down far enough so you can get the piston pin in from the side… this saves broken rings and that’s important when a set for one piston is over £200! Put some rag in the open crankcase before putting the circlip in though!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good tip on fitting the pistons :thumbup:
I can see why you would want to close the openings into the crankcases when fitting the circlips :wink:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I couldn’t resist modifying the clutch cover… I guess that the clutch is going to be even more noisy now! :lol: :lol: