Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dpattisson

Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

Post by dpattisson »

Does anybody know if it's possible to replace the output / drive shaft oil seal without taking the crankcase apart? I certainly hope so! It seems straightforward enough to take off the front sprocket and get access to the seal, but beyond that my Haynes manual isn't much help!

Thanks in advance...
tony.mon

Re: Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

Post by tony.mon »

If you can see it, then you should be able to replace it.

Screw a woodscrew a short way into the seal an that'll be enough to pull it out with a pair of pliers, then tap a new one in nice and square, using a flat ended drift, a bit of pipe should fit ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mwkeats

Post by mwkeats »

Oh crap! I tried this suggestion but it wouldn't budge. Upon inspection of the new seal it has a lip on the outer back edge which suggests to me that the engine needs to be split. :(
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

mwkeats wrote:Oh crap! I tried this suggestion but it wouldn't budge. Upon inspection of the new seal it has a lip on the outer back edge which suggests to me that the engine needs to be split. :(
91207-MBB-003 OIL SEAL (39X72X8)
Thats the seal you have as a replacement?
And it has a lip on the inner OD? Can you post a pic of the seal you have?
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
mwkeats

Post by mwkeats »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been overseas for the holidays and even got married. The wife was most happy when I deposited the engine on the kitchen table!

Yep, that's the seal I have now fitted. Sorry, didn't take a pic but definitely has a lip on the OD that fits a groove in the crankcase halves....
While I had it apart had hours of fun over hauling the whole engine, new rings, bearings, valve guide seals, etc.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Lloydie will have one of them shortly so he can pop a pic up on here for future reference. We might as well have one here considering the thread title.

Yes I'm volunteering you Lloyd :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Ok I'll upload one as the cases are still split :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good man. :thumbup:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

So that confirms that, Inner OD then. :thumbup: I guess if needs be it could be installed from the outside. The lip only has be slightly malleable to be forced past the casing once. Lube it up to make things easier.

Thanks for posting Lloyd, nice pics.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

:thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looks like you could fit a new one from the outside if you removed the lip...... assuming you managed to get the old one out using the small set tapping sure trick
AMcQ
mwkeats

Post by mwkeats »

Hi all,

Thanks for the pics! I seriously considered taking the lip off the new seal and trying to force the old one out. Made a right mess of the old one trying to get it out - actually snapped the head of the screw off. Tried hooks, small pry bars etc. I even tried swearing at it - a lot. My impression is that aside from the lip that there is also a tight interference fit on the outer surface and the case. The seal itself seems to be reinforced so it's not as flexible as a typical oil seal.

In the end I decided to split the cases rather than risk damaging the bearing, case or shaft. I was also worried about how much crap would make it's way into the bearing when cutting the seal up. That bearing can't be replaced either; apparently it is fixed to the counter shaft...

Cheers,
Matt
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

hard to believe Honda would make a engine that needs stripped just to replace a seal worth a few pounds.. bad MR honda. :redface
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

fabiostar wrote:hard to believe Honda would make a engine that needs stripped just to replace a seal worth a few pounds.. bad MR honda. :redface
Id hazard a guess they did so purposely for this design do to need.. established by other seal retention methods not working. I say that as motors of this same year range made by Honda do not have a seal with a retention lip like that.. That means they had to spec a new seal design, and stock yet another part line, and yes, when needed pay for a case split just to replace that seal if it leaked under warranty.

Not much pressure in the case side of that seal.. and they chose not to use an external retainer.. :think: strange indeed.

Thanks for posting this thread and the pics.. I would not have guessed it was like that had I not seen a new seal in hand, or the seal partially installed like above.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training