Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

Post by tony.mon »

Well, I'm sorry for my advice given earlier in the thread.
I've never had to replace a seal when I haven't just stripped the motor anyway.
Please offer your wife my apologies, and i'll nip round with a tissue to help mop up the oily stains next time i'm in the area.

The big bearing behind the clutch is the one that i knew couldn't be removed without splitting the cases- that's got a semicircular locator ring that fits into a groove machined into the cases.
Ah, well, at least you've got it sorted now, well done.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mwkeats

Post by mwkeats »

Thanks tony.mon
tissues, stains - this could go downhill fast! :D

No need to apologise, I am my own worst enemy with things like this. The seal wasn't actually leaking, it did have some damage from a passing stone by the look of it. It all started when installing a Nitron shock. Ended up replacing the linkage bearings as one had a crushed needle. while I was waiting for parts, I gave everything at the back of the engine a clean (OCD) and that's when I noticed the damage to the seal. I've changed them before on other bikes but was filthy with myself for not properly looking at the new one first.

I was just mentioning the bearing behind the seal in case someone was calculating the risk/cost of trying to remove the seal without splitting the cases. The risk of damaging the bearing may be more of a factor to consider when it means you need to replace the counter shaft with it! (I could be wrong but it's in the service manual)

Loving this website, so much fantastic info!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mwkeats, thanks for getting back to us with an update :?: glad you have now got it fixed :thumbup: I hope your wife has now got over the shock of having the engine on the kitchen table :wink:

Congratulations on getting married.

Lloydie, thanks for talking the trouble of posting up the photo's :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

as it was in the kitchen, you should have got the wife to clean it :D :D :D :D :D :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
emmettvtr1000

Post by emmettvtr1000 »

is there any vids
emmettvtr1000

Post by emmettvtr1000 »

cant see pics
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

If more pics are needed. let me know as I have a set of cases apart at the moment :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.