Add on's for a newbie !!

General Bike chat
Lloydie2954

Add on's for a newbie !!

Post by Lloydie2954 »

Evening / morning chaps (it's 1am and I'm looking at bike bits :roll: !!)

Had the storm a month now.. that's a long enough cooling off period with the better half & I now "need" (not want of course) two things.

1) set of cans - looking at black widows 200mm *I'm dead set on these unless those in the know suggest otherwise ?

2) some heated grips for my blue sausage fingers *work commute starts at 4:45am for me when it's not bleeding snowing or -5 ...them here roundabout are tricky when frozen :problem:

One thing I've noticed mind.. bike 'smells' like it's running pretty rich - maybe a firestorm thing ? - nothing to compare it against of late mind...however fires up first time even in this cold dank weather of late !

Regards

Lloydie (the other "newbie one" ...not to be confused with the lube loving Lloydie others have spoken about :lol: )
fabiostar

Re: Add on's for a newbie !!

Post by fabiostar »

just my opinion but cans wise, go for longer cans, they sound much deeper and seem to run better with the longer versions. :thumbup:

iv just put a set of R&G heated grips on one of my other bikes and they seem pretty basic but for £38 they fitted fine and heat up real quick.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Get heated gloves much better than grips IMO had both gloves far superior...

When you say 200mm is that the length ? Or stubbies as they are known ?

Rob you of mid range apparently...Exhausts are long for a reason

+ they look cack IMO...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Lloydie2954

Post by Lloydie2954 »

Oh ok.. this may not be a good choice after all then - 200mm length / so yeah stubbies - but they have 230/300 & 400mm alternative lengths... I'll take the advice given and go for long length ones then :thumbup: - my thinking was shorter = louder & tbh one of the main reasons I went for storm was the 'sound' however abit anti climatic on standard cans unless wound up (but that goes for any bike with any can on)... so really I wanted some low down "growl" (childish I know...mid life crisis well under way haha - but I can't ride like I use too...*yet :angel:

Thanks for advice gents :thumbup: heated gloves or R&G grips - & *longer cans

Lloydie.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Short cans can mess with the fueling, if you want simple fit and not have to mess with anything then 350 or 400mm* cans work much better, they'll offer better overall performance too.
Try MTC exhausts, they make some good quality cans and pretty sure they are up your way too, you may get a good deal by phoning.

* cans are usually measure as sleeve length so overall length will be longer.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Lloydie2954 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 am Evening / morning chaps (it's 1am and I'm looking at bike bits :roll: !!)

Had the storm a month now.. that's a long enough cooling off period with the better half & I now "need" (not want of course) two things.

1) set of cans - looking at black widows 200mm *I'm dead set on these unless those in the know suggest otherwise ?

2) some heated grips for my blue sausage fingers *work commute starts at 4:45am for me when it's not bleeding snowing or -5 ...them here roundabout are tricky when frozen :problem:

One thing I've noticed mind.. bike 'smells' like it's running pretty rich - maybe a firestorm thing ? - nothing to compare it against of late mind...however fires up first time even in this cold dank weather of late !

Regards

Lloydie (the other "newbie one" ...not to be confused with the lube loving Lloydie others have spoken about :lol: )

Also you may not be so popular with your neighbours (unless you live in the middle of nowhere of course) when firing the bike up that early in the morning with 200mm long end can's (stubbies) :wink:

I agree with what the others have said :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Lloydie2954 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:15 pm Oh ok.. this may not be a good choice after all then - 200mm length / so yeah stubbies - but they have 230/300 & 400mm alternative lengths... I'll take the advice given and go for long length ones then :thumbup: - my thinking was shorter = louder & tbh one of the main reasons I went for storm was the 'sound' however abit anti climatic on standard cans unless wound up (but that goes for any bike with any can on)... so really I wanted some low down "growl" (childish I know...mid life crisis well under way haha - but I can't ride like I use too...*yet :angel:

Thanks for advice gents :thumbup: heated gloves or R&G grips - & *longer cans

Lloydie.
the stubbies are louder but its not a nice noise,its a bit harsh. the longer cans give a nice deep growl but dont worry,once you wind it up, you will have plenty of volume :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Lloydie2954

Post by Lloydie2954 »

Nice one gents - I've ordered a set of cans at standard-ish length :thumbup: better to be an informed fool than just a fool ay ! - I looked at the heated gloves - opted for grip warmers as delivered by tomorrow, so I'll fit them in the afternoon.

Cheers

Lloydie.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Go for longer cans .
Lighter flywheel
Roger forks
Nitron shock
1/4 throttle tube
Service the suspension linkages
That should keep you awake longer lol
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Lloydie2954 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 am!

Regards

What’s confusing with lube ! It’s offered or it’s not :Ball Kick: :lol: :lol:

Oh and welcome :beer:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

lloydie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:10 pm Go for longer cans .
Lighter flywheel
Roger forks
Nitron shock
1/4 throttle tube
Service the suspension linkages
That should keep you awake longer lol
All good but the throttle tube....
The stock unit is 1\4 turn :thumbup:
Now some folks like the quicker action HRC style tube but for me, I like the 1\4 turn stock throttle tube :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Lloydie2954

Post by Lloydie2954 »

Hahaha - no confusion, it's wet or dry simple as that.

Cheers for the list Lloydie - I'll do a bit of reading up on here, front end will have my attention shortly :think: // need some dry miles and warm tyres see exactly where I'm at, feels sloppy :? - might be my fat frame aiding & abetting mind
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Lloydie2954 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:43 pm Nice one gents - I've ordered a set of cans at standard-ish length :thumbup: better to be an informed fool than just a fool ay ! - I looked at the heated gloves - opted for grip warmers as delivered by tomorrow, so I'll fit them in the afternoon.

Cheers

Lloydie.
:lol: I think you'll fit in here well :thumbup:

Chris.