couple of questions

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

couple of questions

Post by haynesjones66 »

first, i have a 95 (i believe) blade front end fitted to my bike, with standard vtr yokes and wheel. anyone on here with the same set up? also, anyone have one of those tanklock tank bags, and are they any good? thanks
freeridenick

Re: couple of questions

Post by freeridenick »

The VTR yolks won't work. They're 41mm whereas the Blade forks are 45mm. You'll need the Blade yolks but I think they are a straight swap and you can continue to use the VTR wheel and brakes.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Depends which blade forks, RWU or USD.
Both fit, with the associated yokes. As you say that they're already fitted, it's not a problem.

When you ask do they work, there's more adjustment than the fairly basic Storm forks, and so, if set up properly, they should offer better damping. Also, improvement kits and parts such as springs, cartridges and valves are easier to get as blades are more common that Storms, and more frequently fiddled with.

But they are a bit shorter than Storm forks, so the bike has slightly reduced ground clearance and puts more weight on your wrists. If you also have a shock spacer, it can get a bit flighty on occasion, a damper can be a good idea.

Shorter forks mean better acceleration, as it reduces the tendency to wheelie a bit.

I had a set of USD,s on mine, loved them. But I also fitted the lighter six spoke wheel and some nice Titanium captive spacers.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

they are RWU (i assumed they were same diameter as vtr) and fitted and risers and straight bars fitted too. i assume because they are shorter, that is why they are flush with the top of the top yoke. i trust that would be correct? i cant wait to ride this thing in the spring!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

927 or early 954 forks then.
Same fork used on both models, I think.
Yes, lower them relative to the top yoke as much as you can.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

haynesjones66 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:22 am they are RWU (i assumed they were same diameter as vtr) and fitted and risers and straight bars fitted too. i assume because they are shorter, that is why they are flush with the top of the top yoke. i trust that would be correct? i cant wait to ride this thing in the spring!!
iv had a 95 front end,a 97 front end and the later 954/929 front ends on storms.. the upside down front wasnt a great leap forward, infact the the 97 yokes with the 95 legs with whitepower internals has been the best by a long shot..

but as tony said ,they all go straight in, you must already have early blade yokes in yours as the storm yokes dont fit any blade legs.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: