Bigger Bore Etc

General Bike chat
tony.mon

Re: Bigger Bore Etc

Post by tony.mon »

Amen to that, brother.
If not, you have to buy something quicker.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

And here's my specs for real:

Part #

PN-75156 ; PN-75157

Grind #

NEED TO CLEARANCE CAPS!!

INTAKE

EXHAUST

Valve Lash:

.006"

.012"

Valve Lift:

.414"

.414"

Duration:

276°

276°

Duration @ 0.050:

249°

249°

Lobe Center:

102.5°

107.5°

Intake
Opens

22°

Before
TDC

Exhaust
Opens

52°

Before
BDC

Intake
Closes

47°

After
BDC

Exhaust
Closes

17°

After
TDC
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

This is from webcam? Maybe they did the grind vtr specific and my worries about timing were unnecessary.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

Yep, they ground the cams just for little ole me and they are not on the catalog. Also, you really can't grind a stock core in such a way that it can cause interference. There's just not enough lobe there to do that. You can do it with adjustable gears though so I'd be more careful with that.

Av
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

And here are the pistons from JE...a thing of beauty isn't it!!
KIMG0591.JPG
KIMG0590.JPG
KIMG0589.JPG
KIMG0588.JPG
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

99mm's of happiness in a box!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Ace VenTRa wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:17 am 99mm's of happiness in a box!!
welcome to the 99mm club :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

That's what she said?
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

Here's a link to my weekend ride...the camera is bad and flops a round with wind noise but if you stay tuned at 4:07 and 8:20 or so you'll like it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GbB8dkwKdAV8n7ng9

AV
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Congratulation, I remember what a great feeling it was breaking in new engine which was running fine. Sounds healthy through rev range, seems like you have no problem in mid revs.

If you manage to do dyno run in future it would be nice.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

Dyno appointment is June 12th....results to follow soon.

Major improvements in mid-range and top end with this setup, it pulls right to the rev limiter without a hint of struggle...love it. And damn it sounds good at WOT.

AV
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That seems to be going very well, well done :clap:

Chris.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

It is crankin right along...now if I could just find some decent roads to ride on without coppers. You might have noticed at 8:20 or so in first gear I did not wind it out, I had to let off as it tends to get a bit airborne. If you launch and shift just right it'll keep the nose down but got its touchy. As for butt dyno results... I've noticed that I don't have time to pay any attention to the tach or speedo at wide open whereas before I could make note of rpm's almost casually, same with approximate speed. Also, now, if I'm in 3rd gear and not even really in the ideal rev range, going full crouch and wide open will stand it right up on at 12 oclock until I hit the rev limiter unexpectedly. Which is the last inclination I have that something has changed...before I could feel power dip off before the limiter, now I have no sense at all that power has peaked. I am very interested in seeing what the dyno shows. I bet these cams and valve setup would really shine on the track with or without a touch more compression. Now that I think about it, I think corner exit would be really good especially just before a long straight where I suspect it would really hold its own now with the inline 4's. Time will tell I suppose.

AV
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

Alright here it is,

I finally had a chance to get to the dyno and the results are in.

Jetting is still way too fat so I'm working on that today but the hard numbers are:

HP: 107.6 @ 8951 =+ 9 Hp
Tq: 70 lb/ft @ 7050 rpm = +5 ftlb

Essentially it is making more power and torque everywhere with respectable horsepower gains over the last session. The next dyno run is in September and I wager we'll see 72lb ft and 112 hp, here's hoping! More importantly, this is very drivable hp with big increases in power after 5500 while using a completely stock airbox and TB slip-ons. What is kind of cool is that it makes its power about 300 rpm or so sooner in the power band and there are no unusual anywhere. Essentially, it is exactly what I was hoping for, more power that sustains itself better and smoother.

AV
KIMG0232.JPG
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

And another update...

I got the rotating assembly back from the balancer today and I am pleased to report that it did not require much to make it balanced. A few grams here and there and all is right with the world. Oddly enough, this is the second time a VTR connecting rod was significantly different from the other (7g)...Anyway not a big deal. So, having the assembly back, I took the time today to check my PTV clearance and surprisingly that is damned good with a stock head and cams. On the exhaust side it has .216" and on the intake it has .247". That is with a stock head gasket, head, cams, and JE 99mm 11.5:1 slugs. Which is really cool because I don't need to cut the pistons at all and assembly can begin soon! Motor #2 here I come.

AV