Knees fecked and feet too big.....

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Pentode

Knees fecked and feet too big.....

Post by Pentode »

Yep, my knees are knackered and I'm stuck with size 12 1/2 feet.

Now as much as I love my Storm, I struggle getting my feet up and the gear shifter feels far too short...

Adjustable footrests are no problem and easy to source, but I needed an extra 1" in the gear shifter and it needed to be further forward along with the footrest.

Well business is a little quiet at the moment what with the lockdown so I spent a few hours on the mill and made an aluminium bracket to sort both problems.

It kinda fits like this -

There's three threaded holes for the shifter to give more adjustment and I ended up using the middle one.

With the shortened link rod -

Mission accomplished I think and I once know for sure I'm happy with it I'll grit blast it to hide my gash machining and either paint it or have it anodised.

Cheers
Grahame 🙂
Insufferable halfwit.
tony.mon

Re: Knees fecked and feet too big.....

Post by tony.mon »

With the link rod shortened just a bit more you can get the angles between linkage and rod to the 90 degree ideal.
And if you have workshop facilities, replacing the joints with better-tolerance bronze bushings or needle rollers makes for perfect shifting.
Good work though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Hi Tony,

Good points!

The shifter's now in the middle of the three holes which I think has improved the angle a bit, I'll check tomorrow. It'd be nice to get it right.

Yes, I quite fancy bronze bushings to eliminate what little slop there is - definitely worth looking into 👍
Insufferable halfwit.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

So I've had a squint at the linkage and checked out the angles of the dangles.

The front crank on the gearbox shaft is looking pretty good and sitting around 90° to the linkage -

The rear crank at first glance appears to be way out, but if you imagine a line running through the centres of the shafts (in blue), then that appears to be correct as it's close to that desirable 90° to the linkage -

Of course, I could be hopelessly talking gonads and very willing to be corrected if I'm wrong....

Cheers
Grahame 🙂
Insufferable halfwit.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that angle looks good, I think the blue line is correct.

my only worry with the design, assuming I am seeing it fully, is the single sided foot peg mount. I would be worried that it wouldn't be great for fatigue strength, especially with the notch machined to clear the mounting pin....... and if the right angle plate is welded on, then I am even more concerned.

before you go out for a ride, I would suggest you stand up and put your full weight on the peg, then bounce a few times. if it is flexing a lot then take care
AMcQ
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

I see what you mean. It's not particularly clear in the pics what I've done but the bracket is fixed with two M8 stainless cap heads, one of which passes through the existing foot peg clevis holding the peg in the usual way with a locking nut on the back.

This pic just about shows what's what.

You're absolutely right though, the single sided mount wouldn't stand a chance with my substantial frame 😁
Insufferable halfwit.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Got it now, foot peg is in the standard cast U bracket, and you have bolted your bracket to the side of it, replacing the pivot pin with a through bolt..
Good thinking :thumbup: :thumbup:

Panic averted
AMcQ
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

That's it 👍

Thanks for your input though, always appreciated! 🙂

Now to sort out other bits n pieces!
Insufferable halfwit.