work to do so far on me firestorm

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
fatfreddy000

work to do so far on me firestorm

Post by fatfreddy000 »

unsure if this is the right place to post this but just a list of bits I've noticed in first few days of ownership that need to be tackled.. unfortunately no workshop and busy schedule and fatherhood mean its slow progress..

probably a bit boring!

* adjust/replace headset bearings with tapered needle set
* fix puncture in front tyre or probably just buy a new pair of tyres as back is worn and front has some damage to sidewall also (pirelli diablos just over £100/pair delivered on eBay- any good?)
* replace broken LH foot peg
* replace bent gear shifter
* secure loose tail light, RH can, RH side of seat 'cowl' and various other fixtures and fittings.
* investigate missfire/hiss (occurs sometimes when whipping the throttle open with no load on engine)
* adjust idle a little lower (currently about 1100-1200 rpm)
* adjust throttle free play
* repair wiring issue to tail light.
* check sprocket sizes due to unusual high speed being registered on speedo.
* service (oil, filters, plugs)
* install alarm, speed camera warning system, GPS tracker (i cant afford theft insurance!)
* source and fit pillon grab rail/small rack
* strip and service stiff rear brake calliper.
* replace tired battery
* investigate fork action (seem very soft- compressing too much and bottoming out over speed bumps etc)
* sort teflon coated seat cover with something non slip rather than non stick!
*.. oh, and buy a service manual.

there will be plenty more I'm sure.
all small things although i am a bit concerned about the forks and potential expense there.
looking forward to ticking those off, hopefully faster than i add to it!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Cadbury64

Re: work to do so far on me firestorm

Post by Cadbury64 »

Pretty good list there!

Here's a link to a service manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnh696qph5f11 ... F.pdf?dl=0

The idle speed at 1100-1200 is spot-on.

Standard forks are soft/harsh and respond well to re-springing and valving changes.

Nowhere on your list do you mention manual camchain tensioners. If you don't already have them, put them near the top of the list (after fitting decent tyres).
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Cadbury64 wrote:Pretty good list there!

Here's a link to a service manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnh696qph5f11 ... F.pdf?dl=0

The idle speed at 1100-1200 is spot-on.

Standard forks are soft/harsh and respond well to re-springing and valving changes.

Nowhere on your list do you mention manual camchain tensioners. If you don't already have them, put them near the top of the list (after fitting decent tyres).

Thankfully she already has the mcct's '
:D
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Shame,you have just missed a workshop day at Worcester.If throttle is tightened too much it will stick when making a tight turn so test it before you ride it after adjustment (a little something i learned from last workshop day) and rear light seems to be a loose fit on most bikes.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Add. adjust tps to help slow speed running.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

It's up to you but I'm not a fan of alarms on bikes. They always seem to go wrong. I've just removed one from mine. A tracker's not a bad idea though.

As far as speed cameras go, just use a GPS enabled phone...
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The loose rear light is designed to stop vibration destroying rear lamp filaments.
You can replace the bulb with an led one and tighten it up by fitting washers over the rubber mountings.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

tony.mon wrote:The loose rear light is designed to stop vibration destroying rear lamp filaments.
You can replace the bulb with an led one and tighten it up by fitting washers over the rubber mountings.
that makes sense and i did consider that there was meant to be some looseness there but mine seems very loose almost hanging and jangling about..
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

fabiostar wrote:Add. adjust tps to help slow speed running.
:thumbup: got that one on the list now.
waiting on my manual to arrive to make things easier..