SOLD. SP2, Sevenoaks Kent. NOW SOLD

Moderator: VTRDark

tony.mon

SOLD. SP2, Sevenoaks Kent. NOW SOLD

Post by tony.mon »

SP2, 2004, 32k miles, runs beautifully.
WARNING: If you are looking for a bog standard, straight out of the factory, push miles only jobbie, look away now, make a nice cup of tea and sit down. Don't read any further, it might upset your delicate sensibilities.

You see, I believe that all bikes (except Moto GP machines) are made to a price; they're always a compromise and a gap between what the manufacturers can sell them for and the very best they can do.
I'm not a great one for compromise, so I fiddle and fettle and change things until I like them. Hopefully you do too, and I will have done most, if not all, the (expensive) donkey work in improving on an already rather good machine.

Well done for reading so far, and as a reward, here's the first picture:
SP2 pic 1.jpg
I bought this bike in 2015, it had one previous owner before me. He bought it and had it painted in the Colin Edwards Laguna Seca livery it's in today. It isn't one of the original Spray Bay, Immingham painted limited edition ones and if you know what you're looking at, you'll see a couple of very minor differences, but you have to be a bit of a Kev to notice (lol, sorry, Kev, but thanks for the info re who sprayed the official batch).
I bought it with 21K on it, and so I have put just over 10K on it, mostly Forum ride-outs, and just one track day, just to see what it could do. Cadwell, not an ideal track for one of these!

I would say that I'm a competent mechanic, and I do all of the servicing and maintenance myself. I know what I'm doing, and have the special tools etc to do work properly. Also, I don't trust other people working on my bikes!

I've mentioned that it isn't exactly stock. Some of the things I changed have been to enhance performance, some to make it lighter- and therefore handle better, accelerate faster and stop quicker. Some changes are simply to make it more comfortable to ride.

Let's have another picture, to stop you going to sleep when we get to the geeky bit which is coming up shortly.
SP2 pic 2.jpg
Apart from the paint, there are one or two things that have been done, that I think enhance the bike, and make it more responsive and fun to ride.
Starting at the front:
It has K-Tech springs, and the front end was set up by them. I don't know whether they also changed the damping, cartridge or shims- all I can say is it gives huge confidence and the feedback to the rider is superb. You know exactly where the front wheel is going to go, and how much grip there is, and it is very precise. Apart from changing the fork oil once I haven't needed to touch it.

It has a full set of Armstrong braided brake lines front and rear.
While we're on brakes, I changed the front brake master cylinder to a Brembo radial RCS19, which is not "like hitting a brick wall" because you come to a stop before the wall you're trying to avoid. As you will know, the RCS19 can be adjusted (easily, with a flat blade screwdriver) to either of two settings- I leave it on the harder setting, and the brakes are immediate, and very effective. The softer setting is useful if you're in rainy, slippery or cold weather, and takes 30 seconds to change over or back again- it makes quite a difference to how much feel you get, and how quickly the brakes come on hard.
It's fitted with Brembo road and track pads, and I can't fault them. I've never had fade.
The RCS is complete with a Brembo dogleg full length lever, with the flip-up lever pivot.

On the other side, I also changed the clutch master cylinder to a Magura radial one- it's much lighter than the original, but works perfectly- there's no drag. I moved both reservoirs inboard, as you can see from the next pic:
SP2 pic 3.jpg
There's no real advantage to doing this; I just think it looks neater, and is a bit more "race bike".
In the pic you can also see the Ohlins steering damper, with its Harris mounting bracket. The keen-eyed geeks amongst you will also see the front fairing stay, another Harris item- this fits into the steering stem instead of the standard one that bolts onto the front tank bolts.
(Harris are now owned by Royal Enfield, but they still manufacture parts and spares for their products, so spares are easy to get if you need any.
While we're on Harris, this bike's also fitted with Harris rearsets- multi-position adjustability, polished aluminium, lovely quality items. Both sides have the pivoting sprung tips, so there's less likelihood of breaking one if it's dropped. Nice bits of kit.

The made-of-cheese crank end inspection plug has been replaced by a custom Titanium one; it's just a shame the fairing hides it!
The flapper and pair mods are done, of course.

The motor is standard- I haven't needed to do anything at all to it. It doesn't use any oil, it doesn't smoke on startup when cold, it's a Honda!
I've always used top quality (read: expensive) oil in my bikes, and it pays off in a sweet-running engine.

For those that don't know, the SP2 is a genuine HRC bike, made in Japan by the Honda Racing Corporation, and the attention to detail and engineering is exquisite. Everything is beautifully made and finished. The model number is RC51, and this bike comes complete with a number plate reflecting this:
SP2 pic 4.jpg
Or it might describe my road manners- either way, it goes with the bike!

The airbox is fitted with a pair of free-flowing K+N air filters- these never need replacing, just a clean and lightly re-oil. The only other mod to the engine is a Sigma slipper clutch. Now, I'm not going to bang on about how much things cost- you never get your money back when you spend it on bikes! But although an expensive item, this gives a night-and-day change in downshifting- there's never any chance of locking up the rear when downshifting hard while braking into a corner, which I found could happen occasionally before I fitted the Sigma. Neil Spalding, the Moto GP commentator, makes and sells these and is very approachable and helpful. Also included is the set of alternative spacers to change the way it operates.

Fuelling is handled by a Power Commander V, with a custom map installed. I will throw in the connection cable so that you can view and modify the map if you want- I found it just right as-is, so I've not needed to modify it.

The PCV is also connected to a gear position indicator mounted by the clocks, so you can check which gear you're in. TBH, I just use it to see if I'm already in sixth before trying for seventh...
I also fitted a speedo-healer, as I've gone up a tooth on the rear sprocket- it just makes it a bit livelier. It's calibrated to show the correct speeds- camera's aren't a problem.

The other lovely toy you can fit to a PCV is a quick shifter, so I did. It works on the upshift only, and is set up to give a short kill time for a swift but positive change.
Here's a pic- and yes, I'll clean it properly before you come to see it...
SP2 qs pic.jpg
The SP2 model was built to race, as you know, and was successfully campaigned by Colin Edwards to win the WSB title from Ducati. Because of all that experience there is a lot of knowledge about how they perform and stand up to abuse, and the accepted wisdom is that they have a weaker third gear, which can let go when repeatedly abused on track. Ask Roger Ditchfield! (look him up if you don't know; he worked on the race bikes). This is because third gear is drilled, and when used to race or solely for track days, third gear can let go, leading to gearbox damage. In order to avoid problems, I only use the QS from third up- so into fourth, fifth and sixth. I'm not ashamed to say that I really like the pop and crackle- it's addictive!
The QS can be set up to kill fuel, or ignition, or both at the same time, and each gear can be "tuned" to have its own kill time- so a longer time is set for the change from first to second through neutral, for example. As I say, it's set up with quite generous kill times, but you can have a play if you wish, using the PCV to USB connection cable included in the sale. Oh, the PCV can also have a second map loaded if you like, and you can get a button to mount on the bars to switch between them.

By the way, the bike was dyno'd before I bought it- it shows a nice healthy 135bhp. Chart included, with lots of other paperwork, receipts, and a bunch of spares. I have also collected SP1 and 2 related reviews, original dealer pamphlets, items in magazines and books, and will throw those in with the sale, including the book detailing the Colin Edwards story.

Where were we? Ah, yes, we haven't mentioned the exhaust yet.
The bike is fitted with a full single-sided system- Arrows- made in Titanium. It's ridiculously light. I had a concern about how close the rear downpipe runs to the rear shock, so I wrapped it with Volcano Wrap, which prevents much of the heat soaking into the shock, and ruining the damping on hot days. I think it looked slightly odd with the rear wrapped and the front left bare, so I wrapped the front as well. It also means that you don't have to keep polishing the downpipes!

You can't really see the front one as it's mostly in the fairing, but here's the rear:
SP2 wrap and chainguards.jpg
You can also see the carbon fibre chain guard set, which matches the Carbon fibre hugger. Did I mention that I like to lose weight form my bikes? I believe it helps them to turn, accelerate and stop. I have therefore gone completely overboard, according to my long-suffering wife, in taking off perfectly good parts and replacing them with expensive carbon or Titanium ones. She is right, of course. So there's a lot less weight than standard- this one is down to around 201kg, instead of the original 235. Some of this is done to the lightweight exhaust system, another bunch of kg's came off due to the Lithium battery- (and no, it has no problems starting it from cold or after a few weeks off). I have also replaced almost every bolt from the steering head forward, on the rear wheel, front spindle nut and swingers nut, and a bunch of other fittings with Titanium. I just bought a couple every two weeks or so, that seems to slip under the SWMBO radar.

What else? I had the rear shock serviced and rebuilt by HM Racing in Edenbridge, they fitted a new spring and shim stack- I'm just under 15 stone (not sure what that is to young people) and it's firm but handles really well. It has full adjustability, of course, same as the front.
It has an under tray, with built-in indicators and tail lights- not everyone like this, but it's easy to change if you want. I think it cleans up the tail end nicely. And I fitted a tail tidy. The plate on it is a tiny bit less than the regs ask, but I also have the big legal one, in case you get a tug. I've never had a problem.
A few other things:
It's fitted with an exhaust baffle, got me onto a track day once without problems, but is a bit noisy with it out.
Front indicators are flush- it cleans up the front, and you can't knock them off going into the garage, unlike the original sticky-out ones. I have also fitted some very bright but stealthy ones just under the nose. They are very bright and other drivers can easily see which way you intend to go.

Bored yet? Here's some more pics:
Domino QA and grips.jpg
I fitted a Domino Quick Action twistgrip- apparently half the Moto GP paddock use them, either way, it's a lovely bit of kit and saves you having to take two bites and fully opening the throttle. Included are the other two cam rings, so you can make it on-off like a light switch, or same as standard, if you like. It also has Domino grips, these are very grippy and mean you don't have to squeeze the grips when riding to avoid aching hands and arms.

There are bound to be a few things I have forgotten, like the 90 degree valve stems, which make it easier to get an airline in past the 320mm discs; a double bubble screen, both original keys, VC5's in my name, etc, etc. Tyres- I like Dunlop Sportsmarts, and there is a set on the bike. They're getting near the end of their life but have a few hundred miles left in them yet, and aren't squared off. As everyone has they own preference, I'll leave it to you to put on what you get on with.

So there you go. It's a clean, tidy, well looked after example, owned by a enthusiast (read: obsessive) who isn't against canning some things for what I think are improvements. It's a lovely thing to own and ride, gets comments and compliments when you're out, and is a joy to ride.

Please don't try to buy it and put it back to standard!

Last pic:
3_4front shot.jpg
So there you go. If you want a standard one, you're looking in the wrong place. Same thing if you're after one with only a handful of miles. (That always worries me, seals stiffen, tyres go off, cables and pivots seize) and unless you want. bike to sit in the front room and look at- I'd rather have a bike that gets used.

You're welcome to come and have a look, but if you kick the tyres I'll kick you! And no, you can't have a test ride "to see if you like it" unless you put used notes in my hand first. I think it's a fair price, considering the blingy bits and the performance bits. I had thought about taking them all off and selling separately, but I think it works best the way it is.
Delivery negotiable as I have a van, at cost of fuel.
Ask if you want any more details or pics.

My project's completed now, and my time having this bike as part of my life is coming to an end, but I have loved every minute.

Over to you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tony.mon on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cheekykev

Re: SP2, Sevenoaks Kent £8,000

Post by cheekykev »

Nice write up Tony.
Sorry to have to correct you on a small point.
The originals weren't done by Dream Machine, they were done by SprayBay in Immingham,
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good luck Tony, someone is going to get a well sorted bike there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I didn't need to read any of that, the post title was enough. Sadly I'm too far away with too may hobbies and bits of bike to be tempted. I'm sure it'll sell quickly.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Brilliant advert and bike. Good luck!
No bike (yet).
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Ooh I wish I was 20 years younger.A very nice bike for somebody and well sorted is an added bonus.Good luck with the sale Tony.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thats a proper nice bit of kit tony...if id a spare kidney :wtf: :wtf:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Lovely

I'd have been tempted a few months ago!

Glws, the new owner will thank you for those mods
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Does the advert come with the bike Tony :?: :wink: :lol:

What an advert, that must have taken some time and thought, well done :clap:

Good luck with the sale Tony, what a crackin' bike 8)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's going to cost me a fortune to have it printed in the MCN bikes for sale section.... it's about three quid a word!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

tony.mon wrote:It's going to cost me a fortune to have it printed in the MCN bikes for sale section.... it's about three quid a word!
I'm not going to do a word count, but I'd guess it'll cost you around £7500 Image
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:18 pm It's going to cost me a fortune to have it printed in the MCN bikes for sale section.... it's about three quid a word!
:lol: We won't charge you anywhere near that on here :lol:

Chris.

PS. Tony I've added a "£" sign to your price in the title, as somebody asked me what the price was :problem:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:18 pm
tony.mon wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:18 pm It's going to cost me a fortune to have it printed in the MCN bikes for sale section.... it's about three quid a word!
:lol: We won't charge you anywhere near that on here :lol:

Chris.

PS. Tony I've added a "£" sign to your price in the title, as somebody asked me what the price was :problem:
Thanks, Chris
tony.mon

Re: SP2, Sevenoaks Kent. £8,000

Post by tony.mon »

Well, you had your chance; it's on Gumtree.
tony.mon

Re: SP2, Sevenoaks Kent. PRICE DROP £5995

Post by tony.mon »

Now reduced to 5995. I need to get the wife's 125 built and have somewhere to keep it before July.