Dyno results thread

Just post charts and set up details.
tony.mon

Dyno results thread

Post by tony.mon »

I thought we could have a thread just for dyno results and printouts.
Here's my printouts from 25th March 2013:
The blue line was as I rode in, and the red line is once we'd had a play.

With the blue line I had my "doctored" stacks in, where I've bodged SP1 tops to standard bases, they're longer than stock.
But it ran better with a std pair- one long (rear) and one short, so they are back in for the red trace.
Airbox is gutted, with an enlarged snorkel, and external breathers rather than them routed into the airbox.

I ran out of money to keep trying different setups, but ended up with a 185 front and a 190 rear main jet, needles on 2nd clip from top, both airscrews out 2 turns and 48 pilots.
Engine's currently running high compression pistons, reground cams, 4 degree ignition advancer and I've gasflowed the heads myself, carbs are fitted with a Factory Pro set of needles.
I've ordered a 195 and a 200 main for comparison purposes, but despite trying lots of different settings we couldn't get the slight richness out which shows at 3500.
But it runs cleanly, (once we'd found the misfire, which was affecting top end and turned out to be the sidestand switch).

Here it is through the gears:
However we were having trouble getting a clean ignition pickup, and as you can see the traces aren't exactly overlaid.

Lastly, for comparison, this one shows my original setup run with the high comp/ reground cams engine, just after it was run in, versus the current airbox enhancements:
As can be seen, although the gearing's different (one tooth less gearbox sprocket) it's 2 bhp up and 2 higher on torque as well, so happy enough with that, from the airbox mods.
Let's see what I can get with a full system, ram air, and a remachined front head, maybe oversize inlets, too.
Last edited by tony.mon on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
YETI

Re: Dyno results thread

Post by YETI »

My stage 1 :
running with moriwaki stage 1 cams , moriwaki stage 1 pistons , roger revolution ported heads ,moriwaki race carbs ,moriwaki velosity stacks ,
roger revolution airbox modification , K&N filter .
Standard gearing . :thumbup:
And none of this 2 long stacks .. 2 short stacks :eh: , just the standard set-up 1 long 1 short :shh: but dont tell anyone .

YETI..
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The blue line was as I rode in, and the red line is once we'd had a play......
Bloody hell mate what's going on with the bottom end :eh: So the Sp stacks are a no go then. Nice top end from your last lot of dyno runs. Do you think maybe with the custom airbox you could do with a flo commander to balance out the airflow.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeti are the Moti stacks not equal length then like the Dr Honda's. I thought the Dr Honda are an attempted copy of the the Mori's :confused

YETI

Post by YETI »

nope !! nothing like the same .
unfortunately i dont have a photo of them or i would
post it up , a very similar height to standard just a
more flowing shape to them for airflow .

YETI..
YETI

Post by YETI »

Just checked and have this one of the race bike
but its not in profile

you can see though that they are more free flowing / got a lovely shape to them .
and this has the full on carbon airbox mod to boot on this one .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

blue - 190dj mains 45spilots .art cans
red as above pluss sitck coils and ali stacks

190 dj mains. 48s pilots. 3rd needle clip .1.5 turns out on mixture.
gutted airbox/dr honda stacks/stick coils / 2-1 exhaust .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

ust checked and have this one of the race bike ...
And Magnesium Carbs :D That is very interesting that the stacks are standard lengths. Now if Mori where doing that for the track then that's got to say something. I think the most important bit is the way the air flows in around the tops. The whole airbox and airflow is so complicated and the smallest changes make a difference. But it's difficult to tell whether a change is beneficial or not. With the two long stacks there is a very noticeable change low/mid revs.

Lloyd interestingly enough you have the same rich to lean dips at the begining and you have the gutted airbox as well.

YETI

Post by YETI »

HAND MADE MAGNESIUM CARBS !! :thumbup:

I`m no mechanic , all i know is if MORIWAKI did it IT WORKS :D
and it does ...... and very well
can it be improved upon ???
DUNNO ?
Be interesting to see though
nice thread :clap:

YETI..
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yeti, those Moriwaki intakes look the same as the dr Honda ones

AMcQ
YETI

Post by YETI »

I have it on good authority ( as i dont have any but i know
a man who does ) that the shape is completely different
therefore the flow of air into the engine will differ to
the MORIWAKI ones , plus the MORIWAKI ones are unequal
lengths something that must have been rigorously tested
and must have given the best results across the rev range .
I think if we did a side by side comparison you would
see the difference , the photo`s above cant really do
the job .
It`s a bit like saying 2 yellow storms are the same because
they are yellow , i think tony would have something to say
on that . :crazy:
It`s also the difference between something that works well
or just sorta works ok ish .
As stated above " im no mechanic " and neither am i an
engineer or engine builder but im sure one will be along
shortly to explain airflow and how it effects engine power.
It`s all the subtle differences as well as big modifications
that add up to more BHP .

YETI..
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yeti,
Sounds like the dr Honda intakes are not copies of the Moriwaki parts or they too would be unequal length. So I wonder what they were copied from.....they claim HRC copies, but that is a bit vague if Moriwaki were doing the main competition engines.?..it will be good to hear Rogers views on this one.

At the dyno day I will try and run mine with std and then compare to the dr Honda and see what impact they have
AMcQ
seb421

Post by seb421 »

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

To help the inquisitive.. here are some comparisons for you: This is a little misleading as they are not mounted but a good side by side nether the less..

and a bit of a comparison overlaid on each other... you should see the internal shape as well.. this is a better comparison and makes it a lot clearer with the difference in length..

The doctor Honda ones are obviously longer and in my opinion have a less complex shape.. the mori one's are two very different shapes from short to long. With the Doctor Honda ones whether it is just the length and the fact you fit two long stacks that make the bike feel better I don't know? It did make me ask that question and if you made a nice profile to fit on the top of the standard long stacks would get the same result but Tony may have disproved that with his dyno run at the beginning of the thread.

Hope this helps with some of the questions
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for posting that Mark, it can be seen clearly in the wireframe. Yes the Mori ones have a taper to them whereas the Dr H ones don't. Also the ring doughnut shape at the top differs. The Dr H ones are more rounded so air will behave differently as it gets sucked in. I have a feeling the Dr Honda's would be better for street use.

So for true (ish) copies of the Mori stack then HPower are the only ones.

Very complicated stuff air capacity and airflow, even right down to quantity. Looking at Yeti's airbox and all the bits in there ie ram tubes. I'm wondering if there is the same cubic capacity inside his airbox as a standard airbox, it's just that the air is fed in differently. In theory it seems logical, more air = more fuel, more fuel and air = more power. Maybe not :think: there must be an optimum amount that can be reached per the size of the combustion space and compression for maximum displacement. But this is getting into Boyle's law and Charles's law territory. :roll: